Automate Life
Rich

Automation starter

Hi all, 

I’m new to all this but I have a few echos throughout the house, a single LIFX and single philips hue bulb. I’m not sure which way to proceed now though as I was going to get Smarthings hub but then saw the Hubitat hub. Which is the best route to go? If anyone could give any advice on either device I’d appreciate it.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Rich
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hi all, 

I’m new to all this but I have a few echos throughout the house, a single LIFX and single philips hue bulb. I’m not sure which way to proceed now though as I was going to get Smarthings hub but then saw the Hubitat hub. Which is the best route to go? If anyone could give any advice on either device I’d appreciate it.

Thanks in advance 

Both have there pros and cons. I have a smartthings hub myself. If hubitat had been around with i bought my smartthings i might have bought the hubitat as i am a big coder and the new V3 rule engine they have is really good. All that being said, knowing what i know now, i'd probable go with smartthings as they have great community support and with webcore as the rule engine I'm a happy camper. 

Rich, If your running Hue and  Lifex I'll assume your using the hub in the Echo Plus or Show. You do have local control over the Hue now and can control any Zigbee device as well.

I have thought about a Smartthings hub myself. For example, my Echo hub works fine with the Samsung multi purpose sensor for contact and temperature but I can't use the tilt feature or get battery level.

I'm just getting into Hubitat here, but here's what I'll say about the situation in general: SmartThings has a massive community that has done a TON of work to get you moving.  Samsung is also in this game to win, and so they make it very easy to do simple automation, and not all that much harder to do more difficult automations.  They're also continuing to develop and their V3 hub is ready for the incoming Thread protocol to take a stronghold in the smart home (Google's going to push that hard).

I always will suggest newer folks to head the SmartThings route.  Just my style.

Thanks for the advice, it looks as though it’s going to be SmartThings. That way at least I’ll have a start. Kept watching different thing and both looked good but didn’t want to jump  in and get the wrong one. To be honest I was pushing towards Samsung purely due to them being a bigger brand which seemed a more sensible way to start. 

• Like 1

My advice Rich is to go down one of two paths. (1) embrace one or two eco systems and accept that's the route Ur going down i.e. smart things and lifeX/Hue etc. It's much simpler and I think less time consuming or (2) opt to go down the 'tinker-er' route and look to piece together multiple different standards and platforms to make them work together i e. Hubitat or Home Assistant. It's much more time consuming and at times frustrating, but rewarding too. 

Good luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeoLee2111 said:

My advice Rich is to go down one of two paths. (1) embrace one or two eco systems and accept that's the route Ur going down i.e. smart things and lifeX/Hue etc. It's much simpler and I think less time consuming or (2) opt to go down the 'tinker-er' route and look to piece together multiple different standards and platforms to make them work together i e. Hubitat or Home Assistant. It's much more time consuming and at times frustrating, but rewarding too. 

Good luck

Just an FYI, smartthings isn't really there own ecosystem as they support both z-wave and zigbee protocols which many company's make devices for. Now hue (and now WYZE) for example is very much an enclosed ecosystem as they only support devices they themselves make via there own hub.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, Larry Underwood said:

Just an FYI, smartthings isn't really there own ecosystem as they support both z-wave and zigbee protocols which many company's make devices for. Now hue (and now WYZE) for example is very much an enclosed ecosystem as they only support devices they themselves make via there own hub.

I just want to second that statement and say adding a Hub, any Hub is not an ecosystem. All it does is add Zigbee and Z-wave radios to your assistant. Zigbee and Z-wave aren't ecosystems either..What it does is give you the ability to add much,-much more devices by many manufactures to your Smart Home.
Devices that are low-power (unlike wifi devices)  Better and longer battery life and zigbee/zwave have longer range of most if not all wifi devices.

When "Thread" is a standard it will make the playing field a bit more even. The software in a Hub will still be hard to pass on. At this point I don't think Thread will bring that.

Edited by MNA1966
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rich,

Maybe the jury is out; I'm trying out Hubitat - day 2. I have not seen Smart Things yet; and I have a few (2) about to be few more (3) devices on the hubitat. I can see from the dashboard and the rule engine you could do some 'tinkering'. I didn't think I was a tinkerer until I see the options. Both have great options. What I really enjoy is the support from the community to help out.

On 6/25/2019 at 3:27 AM, NeoLee2111 said:

Good luck