Automate Life
Brian W

Smart lock with SmartThings and an Apple Watch

So my wife uses her Apple Watch and the SmartThings classic app to unlock our front door. I did some research and it appears the Apple Watch can’t run the new SmartThings app. So everything was working great until around a week ago when she attempts to unlock or lock the door from the Watch it just spins and spins like it’s trying but ultimately fails. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Hi! I use my Apple Watch to unlock our doors as well. Which lock are you using?

7 minutes ago, Shay said:

Hi! I use my Apple Watch to unlock our doors as well. Which lock are you using?

We have the Schlage Connect zwave deadbolt. 

Are you running the classic smartthings app on your watch?   I'd love to figure this out. 

2 hours ago, Brian W said:

We have the Schlage Connect zwave deadbolt. 

Are you running the classic smartthings app on your watch?   I'd love to figure this out. 

Yes, I am running the classic SmartThings app on my watch. We have three August locks. One is z-wave and has always been glitchy with ST, but luckily works directly with HomeKit so it’s not a concern. The other two use the August WiFi Connect bridge. I tried those on my watch and works. 

Have you tried the Yonomi app? There’s a watch app too. That is my goto app for anything supported which includes your Schlage. It’s nails...super reliable. Works great with Siri too. August has a watch app, but it has been slow and unreliable for me as well. 

So I use Yonomi and of course the Apple Home app also on the watch. I expose my SmartThings devices to HomeKit through Homebridge installed with HOOBS on a Raspberry Pi managed from my iPhone with the Homemanager app. You could set up everything for your wife that way. The Plugin dev, tonesto7, has an ST smart app. It is all super fast. I absolutely love it.

But if you want a quick solution maybe try Yonomi? I’ll attach some screenshots. Please don’t judge me for the amount of ways video games can be played at my house. Since we’ve been pandemic homeschooling, I’ve added IoT to the curriculum lol. 

You can always reach out to ST support, but I’ll tell you they are not really focused on that watch app at all so it could be a dead end.

Good luck and post back if you have any questions!

A780E4A1-94F4-418D-98C9-AA9E1CA4C239.jpeg

1A436195-BCF3-4AEF-88E1-56D81101B6E4.png

7E7FC54B-8917-4CC4-8B11-51A6EC6CEA9C.png

812B2FA2-BAAA-408B-BA4A-9BA6A5DAC250.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thought of one more thing. I’m assuming she’s tried power cycling the watch?