Automate Life

Hi,

My Actiontile setup has been on Brians video recently and I made a reply on his YouTube channel but I thought it could be good to post my setup here as well.

My setup is as follow:

Hardware: Lenovo TAB4 10 inch Android tablet

Software: Fully Kiosk Browser, DAKboard and Actiontiles

The Fully kiosk browser is the app that ties DAKboard and Actiontiles together, it is a highly capable app but I only use it to be able to have a screensaver mode where DAKboard can be on display. Dakboard is a customizable display for photos, calendar, news, weather and more, I use it for a our common calendar that me and girlfriend have setup in Google Calendar. Every time we want to put something up on the common calendar (DAKboard) we simply assign the calendar entry to our common calendar instead of our personal calendar. Beside our common calendar there is also a five day weather forecast on display. You can have much more shown but I think these two are the ones that for us makes most sense to have on at all the time.

Lastly Actiontiles that brings our entire smart home together, it is basic and functional. I tried to add some weather live cameras and other stuff but in the end I opted for a clean and symmetrical layout.

If you notice in my Actiontile set up, the icons for lights have different meaning, if the light bulb is pointing downward the light is in the ceiling and if the light bulb is upright it is a light that´s floor standing or on a desk. Philips Hue Light strips under the bed are shown as a strip and the blinds in the bedroom are arrows pointing upwards or downwards. If the windows is closed there is on type of icon and if the window is open there is another icon and color. My two large tiles in the center is two scenes, one for turning all the lights off (LAMPOR AV) and one too turn the lights on (LAMPOR PÅ)

One tip that I shared on AYL Youtube channel is as follows:

""A tip for making  it easier to design your ActionTile is to have two browser windows open at the same time you configure your ActionTile layout.
One browser window arranging the tiles and one browser window, scaled to the appropriate tablet size, to see the result.""

Fully Kiosk Browser link: https://www.ozerov.de/fully-kiosk-browser/

DAKboard link: https://dakboard.com/site

Actiontiles link: https://www.actiontiles.com/ 

Hope this helps,

//Peter

Actiontiles.jpg

Actiontiles screenshot2.jpg

Edited by Peter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Genius tip to use two browser windows. The hardest part about actiontiles is getting the layout right!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, Erin said:

Genius tip to use two browser windows. The hardest part about actiontiles is getting the layout right!

Isn't that the truth.  It's the first thing I think I could build a course on and have it be successful.  The reason being, there's a real art to building a control panel that works in every situation.

As a total newbie to actiontiles I took what I learned from this week's videos and info from this forum and put together my first panel! On top of that I figured out how to install the smartapp installer and nestmgr to get my nest added to smartthings! Take a look, I used Peter's layout as a guide!

Screenshot_2019-06-23-19-17-59.png

• Like 1

If I can figure it out I'd love to but I just barely got this working!

If you go to Actiontiles forum, you can find info. on weather widgets and downloads.  The first widget listed in the forum  is Weather.com/widget

Smartthings has a Device Handler called: Smart Weather Station Tile.  It's info allows it to be a "Thing" tile

Weather For You.com can provide a nice forecast media tile: https://www.weatherforyou.net

actiontilessmartweatherstationtile.jpg

Actiontilesweatherwidget.jpg

actiontilesweatherforyou.jpg

• Thanks 1

I got the Smart weather station tile working......the fact that it was a thing was really tripping me up!

Great!  Have you looked at local media stations for Radar?  If you look up info in Actiontiles it will indicate the type of files for radar that work.

I've definitely hit my limit on new actiontiles learning for now. I've got an old tablet charged up and working so the next challenge will be figuring out how to make my panel the first thing you see when you turn it on. 

2 hours ago, Erin said:

I've definitely hit my limit on new actiontiles learning for now. I've got an old tablet charged up and working so the next challenge will be figuring out how to make my panel the first thing you see when you turn it on. 

Erin you can either use a browser called fully kiosk browser or a program called automateit both you can find on the google play store to do that. I like fully kiosk browser myself as it has motion detection and you can setup something like DAKBoard for your screensaver screen. Plus you can lock it down so it just shows whatever site or site plus apps you want it to.

Thanks Larry. I managed to get it up and running with fully kiosk and dakboard.