Automate Life
FrankE

Issue with Google Action Blocks and text messaging

Has anyone else tried texting with Google Action Blocks? Brian did a great tutorial on Action Blocks but I'm having trouble sending a :"canned" text for an elderly person without having to confirm the canned message or even in some case, enter it

image.png.66f72311206fb596722576d381ddda50.png

·       The sample message length requires confirmation

image.png.c6bab4af301db3273dc59cc305170dce.png

·       Short message sent WITHOUT confirmation

image.png.c988a45f3643e39951f151c33bf428af.png

·       In this example, it requires the elder to type in or say the actual message… Definitely not what the Action Block was supposed to do or why have me enter a message at all if its just going to launch the messenger?

image.png.6ce4f87c62dd311907578e16c10592ad.png

·       Even worse! Launches a browser….

@FrankE I have been using an action block when I leave work everyday to text my wife a message that says “I am on my way home”. It has worked with no issues or need for clarification as of yet. 

One difference may be I pointed the action towards a phone number and not a contact in my phone (even though that number isn’t a contact in my phone).  Maybe that is the hiccup. 

• Like 1

Hi @Brian W

I just tried using the phone number and it still had the same problem. Then, I tried your message... and it worked...

It seems to be dependent on the "actual message" as I think Google Assistant is trying to interpret what the message wants to do rather than just sending it... even the the command starts with the required "Send a text message to (123) 456-7890 that says..."

I think that Action Block just passes the command to Google Assistant and GA is getting confused with the word "Call" in a text message. I tried just speaking to GA by saying "Send a text to Frank saying I'll be home soon" and it worked, but if I say "Send a text to Frank saying please call me" I then get a "what's the message" response

If I say to GA, "Send a text to Frank saying please contact me" I then get a dialog with the actual message displayed asking me if I want to call.

I think GA has a bug in that in needs to turn off the AI after it hears "Send a text to XXX saying.." and just send the message, not keep trying to figure what it thinks I really want it to do

If you have time, please try my messages above to see if they work for you?

@FrankE I will try to find some time to try them out. My guess is Google does not have this app perfected yet, and bugs like this will pop up. I will let you know what I find. 

• Like 1

@Brian W I just found out that Action Blocks is supported by the Google Disabilities Group and they started looking into my findings. They seem very responsive 

• Like 1