Automate Life
FrankE

Hotel room with NO Alexa!

I'm staying at a hotel during an accessibility conference and had a strange  feeling...

Getting into bed and NOT being able to ask Alexa to turn off the lights. I had to walk around and turn off EVERY light.

Even worse, getting up in the middle of the night and having to struggle with turning on the lights to get to the bathroom and having them come on at full brightness!

I started toying with the idea of bringing an Echo Dot with me on trips and a couple of Wi-Fi outlets, but I would also have use my mobile phone as a hotspot as the hotels present a “login page”  to any Wi-Fi device trying to connect and want to charge for every connection

Maybe next time.  Some hotels do have Echo Dots in the  room, but  I’m not sure they control the lights or just provide room & hotel information like Air Bnbs

10 hours ago, FrankE said:

I'm staying at a hotel during an accessibility conference and had a strange  feeling...

Getting into bed and NOT being able to ask Alexa to turn off the lights. I had to walk around and turn off EVERY light.

Even worse, getting up in the middle of the night and having to struggle with turning on the lights to get to the bathroom and having them come on at full brightness!

Oh my god living without automation. Should be a crime 🥺

I like the idea of the Echo Dot coming along with you, but...you can't change the lights can ya? 😉

• Haha 1

Hotel bedroom lights are typically plugged into a wall socket, but the bathroom is  problem

too true...you could do most of the hotel if you were staying for a week or so.  Bathroom...yeah, you might have to use the ole light switch!

I hadn't even thought of this, I'm heading to London, Luxembourg City and Brussels for 2 weeks in July. It's going to be strange to go old school! 

My son is meeting us there and he's so anti-smart home I'd never hear the end of it if I packed a Google home. He unplugged everything he came across when he was home for Christmas.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:12 PM, Erin said:

I hadn't even thought of this, I'm heading to London, Luxembourg City and Brussels for 2 weeks in July. It's going to be strange to go old school! 

My son is meeting us there and he's so anti-smart home I'd never hear the end of it if I packed a Google home. He unplugged everything he came across when he was home for Christmas.

That's it!  You must do it Erin!  And...take video of it and share with us.  We'll be able to see the disdain on his face!

I feel like people who don't like home automation are the same people who really like Black Mirror.
(Maybe it's good to people who also like home automation, but I thought the show was goofy..)

Time to eat my own dog food...I'm off to the Voice 2019 Summit next week and will test out my hotel solution. I plan to bring an Echo Show 5 as my bedside clock, rather than dealing with unknown settings on a hotel clock... I'll get my usual wakeup Routines.

Also a couple of smartplugs.. maybe a bulb for the bathroom

If anyone will be at this event, I'd like to meet up and discuss automation, espc for the elderly

Frank

• Like 2

Ok, here is my update. I'm staying at a hotel for 4 days so I'll get to test this out

I'm using

My Android phone as a Hotspot

Echo Show 5 as a bedside clock

3 Wzye bulbs for lights

2 Kasa plug for lights

The bathroom, is a no-touch because of strange lights... should have brought a SwitchBot to control the switch... next time... work around coming soon

https://youtu.be/KvrhO3RjbKg

Frank

Here is my bathroom workaround for the non-replaceable lights

Kasa smart plug with large night light

Wyze motion sensor in bathroom linked to a Wyze camera on the desk (no camera in bathroom)

Using IFTTT to link Wyze to Kasa plug

hotel bathroom light automation.jpg

Edited by FrankE
add photo
  • Haha 1