Automate Life
FrankE

Viewing 360 degree videos on Fire TV

Potential Solution

One of the most overlooked features of YouTube on a TV is 360-degree virtual reality. An Amazon Fire TV Cube provides a low-cost, easy-to-use viewing solution, as the remote control offers the normal ring control (up, down, left, right) as well as play/pause, forward/rewind

Setup

Just install the YouTube app on your Fire TV Cube or Fire TV Stick  and  you will be able to use your Fire TV remote to move around 360 degrees within the view with the “Ring control” as well as advancing and backing up in the video with the normal controls

Here is a video of it working…  https://youtu.be/9VL4abfU78k

Suggestions

This may be enough for most seniors. It of course does not offer the same “immersive experience” as the VR headset, but they can pan around in the video and pick the direction they wish to look.

It’s helpful to create a “list” of videos

Please note that you can add videos you are actively watching to a list, but to initially `create and name the list, you must be using the YouTube app on your phone

Rather that selecting Autoplay, which will play “suggested videos” for you, try using “Play All” in your list so that the senior only sees the videos you have added

You could setup Tube Premium, so there would be no commercials.

In addition to 360-degree videos, there are some very long (2-4 hour) high quality videos that you could add to a list to provide some background scenery that is much better than someone just watching daytime TV as a “background”

• Like 2

Having tried a number of VR headsets, I think this is a great approach for many folks.  The fact is, the VR systems can be so disorienting and at some level, nauseating.  I think many people can't use them anyways.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

Having tried a number of VR headsets, I think this is a great approach for many folks.  The fact is, the VR systems can be so disorienting and at some level, nauseating.  I think many people can't use them anyways.

Yeah I've seemingly developed motion sickness of at least a more acute sensitivity to motion as I've hit my mid 30's, the last time I tried my son's PlayStation VR I thought I was gunna throw my bollocks up (English-ism for you there) after about 30secs 🤢🤢

• Like 2

I agree. For my senior "clients", not only managing the actual wearing of the headset, but the complex configuration necessary to get it to play the video you want requires assistance. The on-line videos of the seniors using them always shows a paid support staff from a company on a monthly retainer. My goal is home use, with setup by their kids

I'm still pursing working with VR headsets for them, but trying to come up with a way to auto-launch the desired content. The Kiosk mode software I have found only works with "owned" content that you load

Of course, I'm staying away from games, just showing travel experiences that a couch-bound user could enjoy.

BTW, I'm interested in the units you have tested. So far I'm trying the Samsung Gear (phone in headset) and stand-alone Oculus Go. The Oculus Quest is interesting, but I don't see the any features I could use to justify going form $150 Go to $399 Quest