Automate Life
Krusher38

Google Home, SmartThings and connections

I I have SmartThings and hue light bulbs. They are both connected to my Google home app. So, now the hue light bulbs and other connected brands are showing up twice in the Google home app. If I delete the smartthings copy, it shows back up because I have not de-linking smartthings?

I can remove the hue linked copy, but I'm worried then when I ask Google to turn off a hue light bulb, it has to go through the smartthing, then the hue app and then back to Google. 

I don't want Google to tell me I have X amount of things not set up because it's not in a room. I also don't want double copies in a room in my Google home app. How have you guys resolved this situation to your satisfaction?

Check this out. I know @AYL_Brian has talked about duplicate devices before, but I couldn’t find his video discussing it. Hope this is helpful  

• Like 2

Thank You, @Brian W, this basically affirms some thoughts that I had. The only concern that I have with unlinking WeMo or hue is the latency of having to go through smartthings. I can simply do it and if I'm not satisfied I can change how I do it. Thank you!

• Like 1

There's definitely some latency issues with double linking, however I think it's worth it in most cases.  It depends on the device though and how fast you want to get it moving once you've given a command. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone, one interesting new issue, actually an issue that I've had the whole time but I'm bringing it up now. I decided to remove hue from Google home app and connect it through the SmartThings app. Everything seemed to be all right but I was in a bedroom and said turn on the lights and instead of just turning on the hue lights in the bedroom it turned on all the house lights. This was after my daughter's bedtime and therefore has made me very skittish.

Is there a reason why hue lights connected through smart things would not be recognized as lights in a nest mini?  Right now until I have a solution I have everything double linked. 

The way you've linked it shouldn't have caused that issue.  I've done both and haven't experienced anything.  The lights from Hue come across as lights through ST so...there's nothing I can see that would have done this to you.  Try it again?

@AYL_Alan, that would make sense but there were two lights pulled in through the connection of Phillips Hue and SmartThings. The speaker (NestWiFi point) and those lights were ask in the same room in the GH app. 

They are lights in the SmartThings app but their names are NOT John Light and Jill Light but simply John and Jill.  I've never had an issue with that when Phillips Hue is pulled into the GH app but this happened when it came through smartthings. 

I'll probably try this again but wanted to get this out there for any known issues or suggestions.

@AYL_Brian, I totally agree they do come across as lights but sure enough if I just had "name" It would turn it off and on but if I asked to simply turn on the lights it would control the whole house.

As soon as I renamed it as "name" light... It worked and no issues since.

When I had Hue connected directly through GH app I did not have that issue of needing to append the word light. Not a big deal to add the word light to the end of the name to get it to work.