Automate Life
Nige

Maximum Ikea Tradfri GU10 bulbs withSmartThings and Google Home

HI all,

I am starting to (very) slowly build up a smart home. I have SmartThings and use Google rather than Alexa alongside it.

I need to replace lots of GU10 bulbs so for now looking for a low cost option in the UK that allows dimmable white spectrum for warm and cold whites, that works with both Google and SmartThings. I've seen a few recommendations for IKEA bulbs ( https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-gu10-400-lumen-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-90408603/ ) but also read somewhere that although SmartThings can control them without a Tradfri hub there is a low number of bulbs it can take on. Any truth to this? I have about 35-40 bulbs in 3 very large downstairs areas.

Ideally I want to bypass the IKEA Hub with SmartThings, but want to be able to control the lighting with my voice via Google, set brightness levels based on time of day/light levels/phone app/etc.

Any thoughts if the IKEA bulb can do all this OK without it's own hub? I'm also open to suggestions for other light bulbs. I'm aware of Hue and also know that LIFX GU10s are too long for my lights.

Thanks in advance,

Nige

• Like 1

I use OSRAM GU10 bulbs with my SmartThings set up, however I had to enable them through my Phillips Hue hub to do so, they are tunable white bulbs & I've had no problem with then after a couple of years.

• Like 1

I've looked at them too but they need a hue hub. Any ideas how many IKEA bulbs can be handled by Smartthings without a TRÅDFRI hub?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nige said:

I've looked at them too but they need a hue hub. Any ideas how many IKEA bulbs can be handled by Smartthings without a TRÅDFRI hub?

Not got any of the Tradfri stuff sorry @Nige

• Like 1

Ok so I have Ikea bulbs (not the GU10's) paired direct with SmartThings.  The integration is seamless and very good.

However, I have a new option for you!  Ikea's may be cheaper (probably will be), but you could look at the full color options here: https://amzn.to/387008Z.  They don't really have US direct sale options so that's something they need to work on, but the reason I'm telling you about it is because it directly connects to Hue, Ikea, SmartThings...whatever hub you have.  They also have their own hub.  So you could move these bulbs between systems.  Very powerful for future migrations.

• Like 2

Thanks Brian! Will take a look at those too! Great to have a decent colour option for certain lights. Thanks for the link!

So I'm assuming you haven't hit an upper limit for IKEA bulbs with Smartthings?

Nige

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of the ikea bulbs, so...I wouldn't have a chance to hit an upper limit.  However, I haven't hit an upper limit for devices connected!  So that's good!

• Like 2

Very good!

I'll let you know how I get on and if I hit any limits. Loving the videos, ta!

• Like 1