Automate Life
AYL_Brian

Ok...But What Are Our Past Times?

We know that all of us have an automation past time that we're enjoying, whether or not we're creating scripts or just implementing our first lighting automation, that's part of what we do.

But what else do we do?

I'm a bit of a gamer.  These days my little guy and I are playing Terraria and Minecraft...as well as the odd Super Smash Brothers!

• Like 3

I'm a big music nerd. I'm a drummer, and I play guitar and bass. Really into Matthew Good Band... easily my favorite band, and Matt Good is my favorite musician hands down. I'm also really into trading cards. YuGiOh, Pokemon, Magic.. and I absolutely love "retro" gaming. My favorite console is, by far, the Sega Master System. 🙂

• Like 2

I own motorbike Honda CBR600RR that I've had since new 2005 its not very comfy to ride but love it!, I love photography and aerial photography and travel a lot for my photography when i can, my PS4 is my gaming machine and currently playing Red Dead Redemption. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 with a 16k upgrade and still have it 🙂 Love motorsport of any kind, family and enjoy life. oh and spend far to much on gadgets.

Thats a bit about me

IMG_00004.jpg

DJI_0066.jpg

• Like 5

Still get out once in a great while my 1st home computer, TI -994A.  Lots of cartridges, and wrote some learning programs for my son and programs for work.

• Like 1

My hobbies are golf and playing drums. I just wish I was as good a drummer as I am a golfer.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 4:46 AM, Larry Underwood said:

I'm a movie buff. Run my own Plex server have a LOT of movies. Sci-FI is my fav. But like most other genre's as well Except Horror.

Hello Larry,

Great, I love movies too. Been loving movies since i rented my first moviebox in the early 80s.
I personally use JRiver MediaCenter as my frontend and server together with two Synology NAS, one 8 disk and one 4 disk NAS.

https://jriver.com/

My home cinema setup:

Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1809

Software: JRiver 24, MadVr 0.92.17 (madVR Beta V40 & madMeasureHDR 3.7.x), NVIDIA driver 417.71

Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R)

Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85

Receiver: Marantz 7011

Wireless headphones: Sony MDR HW700DS

Splitter/Scaler: HD Fury Vertex

Speakers: Linn Unik for Front, Center, Front high and surround back. M&K M4T for Surround. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.

Sub: SVS SB-2000 X 2

Active fiber cable: Monoprice SlimRun, 4K@60Hz, YUV4:4:4, 50ft

Copper cable: Supra 18Gbit/s

Here are some pictures from my setup at home, both old an new equipment.
https://www.minhembio.com/arcspin

I'm not sure if you or others did have movieboxes in the 80s?

This is a moviebox:
"Moviebox was a video recorder (VHS) intended for home use which was usually rented out by video stores. The movie box was the most common in the 1980s when video recorders were still quite unusual in their homes. The devices were designed for easy transport and engagement as well as anti-friction and intended for playback of rental movies, and therefore usually lacked all functions that were not absolutely necessary for this type of use, such as remote control and recording capabilities. A Moviebox was rented per day or several days." 

PS,

the picture below is a picture of a Moviebox from he 80s, not my home theater set up ;o)

Moviebox3.png

Edited by Peter
  • Like 3

wow. I had a betamax machine it had piano type keys on it and was the size of a small suitcase (i'm dating myself here), weighed a ton, i dropped it down some stairs one day moving it and that was the end of that

1865041384_betamaxtapes.jpg.18d088b993b8e0a2ea8f18dfab538ddf.jpg

had several VHS tape machines as well and a Panasonic laser disk player. Anyway i have a home theater.  Which i will get into at a later date primarily because i don't have the info at hand 🙂 but have at present over 6000 movies on my plex unraid server 60 Tirabytes at present

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 2

Car detailing has been a big passion of mine for the last 5+ years. Just starting to get into telescopes, haven't invested yet but I'd think it would be great to view the solar system and nearby galaxy's and nebula's. I also game and watch movies. Slowly getting all the Marvel movies in 4k on my Plex server and working my way through the Master Chief Collection on Legendary. My recent project I've completed was upgrading/swapping out all my network cables. If you haven't seen the slimrun ethernet cables from mono price your missing out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stickey said:

slimrun ethernet cables

Great suggestion,
I'm looking for an slim Ethernet cable and will most certainly check this out.

Thx 

16 hours ago, Peter said:

Great suggestion,
I'm looking for an slim Ethernet cable and will most certainly check this out.

Thx 

They're great! Almost as thin as a digital optical line.

• Like 1

My current obsession is photography, I just love the escape of putting on some headphones & walking down the street snapping away, I find it super relaxing 👍 I've recently braved posting my stuff online on Instagram @gaztyke_image 

I used to be a big time movie buff, but with 2 kids & a 2 jobs it's tough to get time to watch movies that often these days 

Edited by Gaztyke

On 6/19/2019 at 7:01 AM, Lord Jones said:

I own motorbike Honda CBR600RR that I've had since new 2005 its not very comfy to ride but love it!, I love photography and aerial photography and travel a lot for my photography when i can, my PS4 is my gaming machine and currently playing Red Dead Redemption. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 with a 16k upgrade and still have it 🙂 Love motorsport of any kind, family and enjoy life. oh and spend far to much on gadgets.

Thats a bit about me

IMG_00004.jpg

DJI_0066.jpg

What do you use to shoot your aerial photography @Lord Jones? I recently got a Mavic Air that I'm experimenting with as my first drone

Mavic Pro 2 with the Hasselblad lens really great bit of kit, but can't go wrong with any of them to be honest as long as you fly within the rules and just keep well away from people

• Like 2

The Mavic Pro 2 looks like a serious piece of kit, if I can get my flying skills honed with the Air I can see me upgrading to whichever version of the Pro is out at that point, I'd like to have the flexibility of filming in different file types 

• Like 1

I’m into hiking and geocaching. I love to go out, find a nice route and walk for a few hours. 
In the meantime I mostly try to find some geocaches. 

Edited by Serena
  • Like 1

I too ride a Honda CBR... hehehe..

But for a living I build race cars and race bikes and run a YouTube channel and sometimes feature in another..

Also rather adept at sport shooting, love them guns.... 

However, I started my complete smart home project to make my life simple, but it has done the exact opposite and my bank account hates me!! hahahahaha.

Repsol1.jpg

• Like 1

I play several instruments, mainly guitar, piano, and banjo (when I play funk music). I enjoy playing video games like minecraft and Nintendo games with my better half. Hiking is also a hobby of mine

• Like 1

I had a career in automotive parts at dealerships until one day (on my birthday) I had a Stroke that put me in a wheelchair. I used to play bass as well. I was in a band that played every weekend and some weekdays. My stroke took care of that too. Now, I have a crap-ton of time on my hands. Automation is a major (hobby) part of my time. I'm glad for that. My motivation simply automate things to make life easier for a guy in a wheelchair. This trend has great timing.

I have a little bit of a computer background. Almost insignificant in today's world. Around 1985 it was my job to run backups (and various other jobs) on HD's at least 18-20" (45-50 CM) in diameter computers were pretty big back then and all DOS. In hindsight I should have stuck with it. I request to be on the parts counter where the action was.  Otherwise, that my friends is known as a mistake. I was young enough back then to go to school. I was really doing crap work that a department head didn't want to do. Like filling. I hated it.

• Like 2

Like Brian, I've been known to play Minecraft or Fortnite with my son, but on my own I'm usually scrolling down facebook, playing puzzle games on my ipad, or watching movies (MCU, LOTR, HP, SW, etc). I have two cats now, but have plans to become a crazy cat lady at some point. I currently work in IT, but in my far past I earned a masters in Astronomy (which I don't use and have mostly forgotten) and worked at NASA for a few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Christina said:

Like Brian, I've been known to play Minecraft or Fortnite with my son, but on my own I'm usually scrolling down facebook, playing puzzle games on my ipad, or watching movies (MCU, LOTR, HP, SW, etc). I have two cats now, but have plans to become a crazy cat lady at some point. I currently work in IT, but in my far past I earned a masters in Astronomy (which I don't use and have mostly forgotten) and worked at NASA for a few years.

I have SO much to respond to on this....First...

My son and I have fully switched to Terraria for the time being.  Oh, and a bit of Super Smash Bros.  After that, I need to understand what you did for NASA and how many cats you plan to have!