Automate Life
MNA1966

Chromebooks. Had one, use one? Opinions?

I have been doing a no, no for the last couple of years.  Web surfing on an OLED. Now, I finely like to do some about it and hopefully I didn't totally ruin the screen.
I can easily see the static Images of my web browser and taskbar. Although, the taskbar has been hidden for six month and the ghostly images are almost gone.
Also, the screen saver for my Yamaha AVR is partially burnt in.

Back on topic, I need a replacement web browsing machine and I think a Chromebook is my best option. Unless there is such thing as a web browser with OLEDS in mind. I didn't think so, ha ha. What would be cool is a keyboard with all the browser navigation and bookmarks so I can just be in Full-screen all the time.

So, Chromebooks? For a web-browsing machine can I stay around $250 for a 2019 version? I saw an HP for $265
Any other ideas, I tried Kodi with the Chrome plug-in. That was fair. I didn't try the built in browser.

One benefit of going Chromebook is I can put all my H.A. apps on there.

Edited by MNA1966

I wound up going with one of Lenovo's 2019 models. A C330.
I just noticed on the budget Chromebooks ($170) there wasn't a touch screen. The C330 is a 2 in one as well.
I haven't used it much for Home Automation just yet. I did DL Google Home, though and my Hubitat Hub is a bookmark.

Because I used the Chrome Browser on my PC, Signing in to my Google account is all I had to do, just about. I have a few more apps to add.

• Like 1

I've been doing web surfing on that TV for a lot longer than I wanted to. I just hope it clears up now.
I liked having a 55" computer monitor, though. If I have to get another TV I'll get some kind of an LCD. 😟 OLED is nice.

Looking for some advice. 
Now that my PC is no longer my HTPC I will need something to replace my Plex server. I a a cord cutter too. I have a Roku Ultra but the little research I have done says I'm a good candidate for a nVidia Shield.. The thing is $200 so it and I can wait until next month.

You want the Plex local to the TV?  Couldn't you just do a network and then use a Plex app on the TV?

I want something more local. I have a few HD's in a DAS with pic/music/movies. I invested a lot of time digitising my library of the aforementioned stuff. Another question if you don't mind. I have an old Qnap NAS. Would my DAS make a storage extension for my NAS 
I have a Plex app on the Roku that has a lot of free options but nothing for my library.

Almost all my music is MKV, BTW.

Are there any other options besides a Shield? 

Edited by MNA1966

I don't have a Plex app on the TV. However, there is a way to do a network thing and connect my my PC via WEB OS. I heard (on the web) that is limited. I do have some USB's on the TV. Maybe I'll try plugging my  DAS and see what happens.