Automate Life
Brian W

Traveling or mobile smart home

I am creating an educational program that will be meant to travel showing smart home value for senior citizens.  One of the things I want to be able to do is show mini live demos as I travel to these different venues, which means I will be connecting to random public WiFi networks and can't connect hubs or bridges in a hard wired manner to a router.  Obviously it is easy enough to connect voice assistants in this environment, but I am coming up blank on ways to show lighting and sensor use.  It dawned on me that Wyze may be a solution on both fronts, but I have seen a lot of complaints regarding Wyze lights and sensors having issues.  So my question to the group is do you have any suggestions or any actual use info related to Wyze that might help me find more comfort in taking a stab at using their products for this project.  

Some items I won't have to demo like thermostats (just provide videos or pictures), but other items work great for a traveling program like SwitchBot.  If anyone has any suggestions of things that they have found particularly beneficial for seniors please feel free to share.  I know I have spoken with a few of you about this project in the past, and finally have it scheduled to kick off in June, so I have some time to get all of these demos setup and ready to roll.  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Have you thought about using a hot spot device that you can connect via either WiFi or hard wire? That way you can connect a hub to it. I haven't had much luck with wyze sensors. They work but are slow to respond and sometimes they are so slow as to be unusable in a real time scenario. Such as walk into a room and expect their motion sensor to trigger a light to come on.

• Like 1

SmartThings Lighting automations work completely without a connection to the cloud 🙂

ZigBee and Z-Wave stuff too!

• Like 2

@AYL_Brian I can't believe that didn't dawn on me.  I guess because my home ST setup is the ST Mesh Wifi system I just defaulted to seeing it as a router only system.  Sometimes simple things just slip by.  Thanks for chiming in!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just a FYI if you power on a ST hub without a wifi connection then it will not work with the smart lighting app automation's. If it has a wifi connection when it boot's up then loses it, it will continue to work.

Have tested this several times and this seems to be the case each time I've tried it.

Edited by Larry Underwood