Automate Life
Brian W

Health and safety

I thought it might be a good idea to add a health and safety category to the forums. I know @FrankE would have plenty to offer on this topic. It came to me tonight as I put together a new WebCore piston designed around my daughters recent sleep walking adventures. I wanted something that would wake my wife and I but without waking anyone else including my daughter (don’t want to terrify her and startle her possibly causing more danger). So now if the triggers I have designated go off between certain hours the nightstand lamps in my room will blink on and off until stopped, and text messages will be sent to each of our phones (to create a noise without it being an alarm). I may tweak it further and make it not time based but instead make this piston become active based on a routine spoken to my google home devices, but this was a quick start to find a passive solution. 

I am sure  many of us have created automations or have automation concepts revolving around health and safety, and with a new year and so many people focusing on health this may be a good topic to add to these forums. If you are looking for some simple examples of what kind of automations you can develop check out AYL’s home tour of Frank’s home. That video is what took me from mildly automation interested and got me to dive full in to the pool. Here is the link to that home tour

• Like 2

Great idea for a forum topic @Brian W👍 These sort of automations could also be routed to provide a notification to wearables too I presume I.e. phone notification that pings a Wear OS watch maybe 🤔

• Like 1

@Gaztyke they definitely could.  Frank (who I mentioned above) has actually been working on a few things tied in to wearable tech.  I put together a webcore piston earlier this year that sends a text message to my wife and I when our kids arrive home from school.  It was tied in to the Life 360 app on their phones, and when they entered the GeoFence  around our home between the hours of 2:00pm and 5:30pm M-F, smartthings/webcore sends out a text message stating "Child's name here is home".  It was a great way for us to fix the problem of our children forgetting to text us when they got home (especially since they have such different schedules between their schools)

• Like 1

Is it sad that I immediately thought this was an article talking about the safety of the radio frequencies emitted from the smart devices? I used to work for a manufacturer of smart meters, and helped author a white paper on research into the safety of radio frequencies from the different forms of communication coming from the meter (Zigbee, proprietary RF mesh), and why they won't fry our brains. 

Edited by TebowToHarvin
  • Haha 1