Automate Life
Larry Underwood

LED Strips

Just thought all of you might want to see my light strips. Waiting for it to get a little warmer here before I install it over my garage

https://youtu.be/Hd86XSYUFIg

I will make another video after i mount it above my garage

Sorry about the abrupt ending of the video but was being called by the wife 👀 The power supply i got was a big one because i plan to run all the strips for the house on the one power supply and because there wasn't much difference in price between the smaller ones and this one. If anyone wants me to go into more detail about how i connected the nodeMCU board and the power supply to the strip let me know. Also just a FYI the strip can go a lot brighter. Found a setting in the WLED software that limits the brightness when using a small power supply so after increasing that to the limit of my supply it allowed the strip to increase brightness a great deal. The strip when set to all white at full brightness pulls about 5.25 amps. But your looking at 150 pixels in this 16.4 foot strip. That's 450 LED's (1 red, 1 green, 1 blue per pixel)

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 3

Yes I'm already configuring webcore to work with it. I'm modifying my holiday light piston to run certain effects on certain holidays so it will automatically run the correct effect for the right holiday without me having to do anything. For example on day 77 of the year (St Patrick's day) It will run a green effect trailing sparks. On the 4th of July it will run the fireworks effect.

Am also playing around with a program called xLights and when working in conjunction with WLED it will allow me to run some pretty amazing light shows. Also have it working with Alexa now as well.

• Like 3

The Power supply and the Light strips are the 2 biggest buy's

Here is a breakdown of the parts and prices

ALITOVE 5V 60A 300W Power Supply             =  $25.00

The 16.4 Foot Light Strip                                   =  $25.00

100 Pack Strip Light Mounting Brackets        =    $7.58

Plastic Waterproof Boxes Junction Case's    =  $10.89

40FT 18 Gauge 2 Color Red Black Cable       =  $10.99

3 ESP8266 NodeMCU CP2102 Controllers   =  $12.69

Total Cost                                                           =   $92.15

The nice thing about this though, when i add more strips to the rest of the house (figure 4 more strips should do it to cover the entire front of my house) I will only need to buy more light strips and maybe a couple more of the controller boards at the end of the project. The controller boards have to be close to the strips for the data line to work so that's why the junction boxes. But i'll hide them under the roof overhang, they are only 4 inches by 2 and the controller boards are only 2 inches by 1.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If anyone is interested in doing this project for there own house let me know and i can go into more detail about what pins to use on the controller boards, where to get the WLED fireware for the boards and how to flash it onto the boards and use it to control the LED strips. The boards are wifi capable and there is a app for both android and apple phones to control it. Plus you can use your computer's web browser and alexa and i have figured out a way to use json commands to access them so webcore can now control them to, which means you can use automation's to control them.

• Like 2

Yeah OK, so as you go...you just add the controlers and cable basically and you're good to go!  Very cool Larry!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This is definitely a DIY project, but as far as i know unless you want to spend 10 times more money it's the only way to control individually addressable light strips. But it's not as hard to do as you might think.

• Like 1

Update on the strip lights. It has been to cold here to install these lights outside so i decided to add them to a few more places in the house such as under the bathroom vanity. Heres a screen shot of that.

20200123_175854.thumb.jpg.48f30209c9524856aa88e549a71bc3f8.jpg

The interesting thing here is the i only needed about 5 foot of the strip for this project. The cost of the 16.4 foot strip is $25 so only used about 1/3rd of that so about 8 dollars in cost. Then i used one of the micro controllers which is about $4 dollars. Also used one of the project boxes which is about $1 dollar.

20200123_180223.thumb.jpg.4590e428e2c6f63c3bc5c4b1d3cb9f0c.jpg

20200123_180136.thumb.jpg.92e078115fda7a037cdb7fea624891fd.jpg

Add some wires about $1.50 and a 5v 3 amp power supply $9 dollars and my total cost for the project is about $25 dollars. I can still use the rest of the unused strip elsewhere (plan on replacing the strip under the kitchen cabinets). I am using webcore piston to automate the strip so when I enter the bathroom it turns on the strip at a set level based on if I'm awake or sleeping. Considering the effects you can do with these and the cheap price, I'm planing on using them in many different places.

20200123_175725.thumb.jpg.7a8139a621244b26a4364406e0cfcf5b.jpg

Nice thing about these is you can cut them to fit whatever size area you need. You can cut it with a pair of scissors in between each pixel. so about every inch

20200123_180453.thumb.jpg.d84c37a27c2113187a37ca14365776b8.jpg

Can use the WLED app to control them or can use alexa and webcore. Have added a smartthings button and one click of that can run different effects each time you push the button (wife approved 😀).Can trigger them with motion, contact sensors, any smartthings sensor.

• Like 3

Another update I changed how i send power to the light strip instead of connecting power through another wire I instead bought these DC power socket Connectors. Here is some pictures of how I used them

20200125_182906.thumb.jpg.5898d88226fa0933c6f5a16b91a32c85.jpg

20200125_182932.thumb.jpg.844e235dc4a74b7ac0db14e7c9f1e83d.jpg

20200125_182949.thumb.jpg.4d28f3e4f5cd98b2c0e4fc3ec53e44a9.jpg

This keeps the power wires inside the box and makes for a better looking and cleaner and safer install.

The result looks like this after everything is connected and working.

20200125_183338.thumb.jpg.5baecfb73bcd62d47f115d4aee4a20bf.jpg

So power connected at one end of the box and the light strips at the other end. Getting better and better.