Automate Life
FrankE

I've been looking for a way to keep phone unlocked at home

In my work with seniors I have found that, at times, they can handle the PIN, fingerprint or facial unlock when they are away from home but find it an annoyance when they are at home or in the car.

The Samsung phones I have tested; A50, S10, Note10 have a feature called Smart Lock at can be set to keep the phone unlocked when in "Trusted Locations" or near "Trusted Devices".

The Trusted Locations feature works off GPS and is sometimes unreliable.

The Trusted Devices method works well with the Bluetooth in their car, but if I use this at their home the phone's audio is routed to that device which can be confusing. I have been using an "always on" Bluetooth device like an Echo Dot  to be their trusted device at home.

I tried several other Bluetooth devices that would not act as an audio device, so that the phone could remain the speaker, but these were battery powered and appeared to spend most of their time disconnected. The Flic buttons and Tile tags were of no use.

Then I tried one of the strangest little Bluetooth speakers I have ever used, an INSIQBS1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0723HQLMN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Tuc.DbJVG8EH5

What is unique about this device is that its not only a speaker, but a single-click Bluetooth "clicker" for camera control and an double-click phone answer device!

The interesting part for me is that I can set it up to be an always-on Bluetooth device that is not a speaker by choosing "calls" only. It has a battery, but I keep it plugged into a USB power adapter so that its always on.

It could be even potentially carried with you as your trusted unlock device and if separated from the phone would cause the phone to lock

INSIQBS1 speaker.jpg

Edit- One other thing. Samsung Bixby Routines can also be setup to unlock the phone based on a specific Wi-Fi connection (Home or work Wi-Fi) and offer a "context" aware location detection meaning not an "event" when I arrive at home but rather "I'm still at home" based on GPS. In addition to unlocking the phone at home I also use that feature to allow the BHixby Routines "speak" notifications set by apps such as their calendar

Edited by FrankE
  • Like 1

Hi Frank,

I have the same issue when connecting trusted devices over Bluetooth; Like Android Auto (I really like it and use it alot). However, it does ask me to use my PIN or fingerprint sometimes, even after it opens it up; (it will open the Android Auto App), then go to locked mode.

That's a pretty cool option with the INSIQBS1. I think some hubs and devices should bring back more buttons for some immediate functionality (ok,, I wish they consider it). I think of how far keyboards have evolved into a full hub with calculator, volume control (scroll up/down), music selection (stop/back/play-pause/forward). We like our functionality.

For the Bixby enabled device to figure out between GPS and WiFi is great; that means that if someone else other than me were home, it could figure out that devices still need to be awake and ready to go.
Oh Bixby; will we be saying that name more often in 2020?

Oh Bixby; will we be saying that name more often in 2020?

I sure hope so. So  far I have published 4 capsules (apps) in their Bixby marketplace, 3 in the senior area and one adding IFTTT support.  I feel like Samsung is the "Apple" of Android and was surprised by their range of phones being not only the s8, s9, s10 and Note 10 series but also their A series such as the $300 A50 being a very nice smartphone.

Bixby also has the advantaged of being embedded  in their appliances and TVs