Automate Life
FrankE

New features in Alexa Routines

I've been quite distracted working Bixby capsule and didn't notice this update

I noticed that Alexa Routines have two new interesting features.

You can now NAME your Routines...

You can now invoke IFTTT applets within a Routine. Previously you could only speak the name of the Webhook event with the word "trigger" in front of it

IFTTT in Alexa Routines.jpg

Edited by FrankE
added pic
  • Like 1

Wow. I didnt notice that. That is actually a requested item. One use is if you are creating a motion triggered bathroom morning  routine where you would like it to speak a greeting, time and the weather.

There was no previous way to get the routine to say the time

• Like 1

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd....now we have Wyze Integration for their motion and Contact Sensors.  Getting out of hand this week with Alexa and Routines!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FrankE said:

Wow. Did they announce any of this?

They never do.

Since the light ring alert for missed reminders started I can't get re-reminders to work anymore.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:12 PM, AYL_Brian said:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd....now we have Wyze Integration for their motion and Contact Sensors.  Getting out of hand this week with Alexa and Routines!

This right here is one of the best updates all year.  $6 for a sensor that can trigger routines with echos. I just set mine up and they work great. Now I'm regretting all the $25-30 sensors I bought. No, they don't tell me the temperature, but they're 6 bucks!

And no mention of this anywhere, Amazon never,  Wyze no, Youtube nope, just Brian.

Great find Brian!

Edit: This kind of makes buying an Echo Plus harder to rationalize now not needing a zigbee hub for those just starting out in the Alexa ecosystem.

Edited by David
  • Like 2

Yep.. Brian was the only one I know who saw this. I just looked at it myself and it actually does work. As soon as you pair a Wyze Motion sensor with the Wyze camera, the Alexa skill picks it up and you can use it as a trigger in an Alexa Routine

Brian... you are Da Man...

Wyze Alexa 1.jpg

Wyze Alexa`2.jpg

• Like 1

Yep.. Brian was the only one I know who saw this. I just looked at it myself and it actually does work. As soon as you pair a Wyze Motion sensor with the Wyze camera, the Alexa skill picks it up and you can use it as a trigger in an Alexa Routine

Brian... you are Da Man...update- building off what Brian found, I added a Wyze motion sensor on top of the Echo Flex light to make a combo unit

My plan is to not only implement "follow-me lighting" but rather "guide-me lighting" where  a webCoRE piston can determine which way the senior is going from all those sensors and light the path in front of the senior... bed to bathroom … bedroom to living room... living room to bathroom... etc 

Echo Flex light Wyze sensor.jpg

1 hour ago, FrankE said:

Brian... you are Da Man...update- building off what Brian found, I added a Wyze motion sensor on top of the Echo Flex light to make a combo unit

My plan is to not only implement "follow-me lighting" but rather "guide-me lighting" where  a webCoRE piston can determine which way the senior is going from all those sensors and light the path in front of the senior... bed to bathroom … bedroom to living room... living room to bathroom... etc 

@FrankE With some small mod's you should be able to use this piston to do that. If you need help modifying it let me know.

• Thanks 1

Here is my new mounting location so that I can determine "direction of travel" .

Note that the body of the Echo Flex acts as a "blinder" on one side to help focus the detection area

now, they just add in Larry's piston.... 🙂

Echo Flex Wyze mouting.jpg

Frank if your going to do that you could even add into the piston a followed within 1 minute logical operator like this

followedby.thumb.png.0fce85d8611c3ce077ce07bbebaa6911.png

This way you can tell which direction the person is going. Left to right or right to left. Is he heading to the kitchen for example or leaving the kitchen to the bathroom. I use this a lot to tell if someone is leaving the house or entering the house. I have a contact sensor on the doors and a motion sensor above the door so if the door opens first followed by the motion sensor going active then i know someone entered the house as opposed to leaving through that door.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1