Jump to content
Automate Life
Lordy

ST Sensor setup rule/ idea help

Recommended Posts

So i got the ST hub and decided to get a ST motion sensor. But i struggling with getting it setup to my liking. My idea was: Sensor outside my bedroom door, so when i go out my door at night the light would slowly light up to 30-40% and then turn off after 15 min. But for some reason i can't manage to do the last part to make it turn off after 15 min in ST.  Does anyone have an idea on how this can be done ?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use the ST app so if you want to use that then maybe someone else can help you there. I use Smartthings webCoRE automation system to do my automations. If you decide you want to give it a go then you can go here https://community.automatelife.net/forum/24-scripting-talk/ and there are instructions and videos to walk you through installing and using webCoRE

I created a webcore automation (it's called a piston) that will do what you want.

2035314115_SlowlyLightUp.thumb.png.6d0dd846600ad450de3cfbd517bf6f86.png

Feel free to import it if you decide to go this route or wait for someone that uses the ST app to help.

Hope this helps you out.

Edit: I just remembered that in the Smartapps section of the ST app there is a smart lighting smart app (you'll have to install it if its not there) you can create a new lighting automation select the device you want to control (your light for example) and then under trigger scroll down to the bottom of the list until you see power allowance select that give it the amount of time you want to allow the device to stay on. Keep in mind this will affect that light no mater what automation triggers it so it will never stay on for more then what you set the power allowance to.

Keep in mind I don't use the ST app very much so there may be a better way to do this. I tend to want to do more complex automations then the ST app can provide so quickly switched over to webCoRE when I ran into several things I wanted to do that the ST app could not do.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really appreciate the answer.  going to look into webCoRE and smartapp`s see.  might be a bit to advanced but i will see 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with your (piston) will that only start working when the light are OFF ?  so i don't need to set a specific time for that one to work ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lordy said:

with your (piston) will that only start working when the light are OFF ?  so i don't need to set a specific time for that one to work ? 

The trigger is the motion sensor going active, when that happens it will check and see if the light is off, if the light is already on then nothing will happen this keeps the piston from trying to turn on the light when motion is detected if the light is already on. For example if the motion sensor has already been triggered and the light is brightening up to the 40% level and someone triggers the motion sensor again if i didn't have that in there it would start the light back at 1% again before it was turned off, which is not what you want to happen.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it worked perfectly. only one thing is when i usted my ikea tradfri 5 button remote to turn on the light again. it went back to 40% and not to the normal 80% i have it set to before.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other words you must have your button set to just turn on the light and the webcore piston had set it to the 40% level so when you hit the button thats what it went back to. If you look at the setup for that button there should be a option somewhere (i don't have that exact button so not sure where to tell you to look) that would allow you to set it to a level instead of just turning it on.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lordy you should check out some of what @Larry Underwood has shared under the scripting topic here on the boards. Larry explained WebCore really well and gave great examples of concepts. Once I got into WebCore I really started to see how far automation could go as I get my family on board with smart home tech. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 3:03 AM, Larry Underwood said:

In other words you must have your button set to just turn on the light and the webcore piston had set it to the 40% level so when you hit the button thats what it went back to. If you look at the setup for that button there should be a option somewhere (i don't have that exact button so not sure where to tell you to look) that would allow you to set it to a level instead of just turning it on.

seem u are right.  my ikea button was sett to do on/off  . so i assume that's what messed it up and just turned it back to the previous 40% dimmed state when it was used again.  But if i set it to a level. then the same button wont work as a on/off button sadly.  i have also gotten a ST button. not sure if that will do what i want.   also sorry for the slow reply guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Brian W said:

@Lordy you should check out some of what @Larry Underwood has shared under the scripting topic here on the boards. Larry explained WebCore really well and gave great examples of concepts. Once I got into WebCore I really started to see how far automation could go as I get my family on board with smart home tech. 

i did see he explained a lot there. Might need to take some time when i have some free to read true it and see what i understand off it.  I do like that you don't need to remember the codes in webcore that they are mostly all there with a click

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lordy said:

seem u are right.  my ikea button was sett to do on/off  . so i assume that's what messed it up and just turned it back to the previous 40% dimmed state when it was used again.  But if i set it to a level. then the same button wont work as a on/off button sadly.  i have also gotten a ST button. not sure if that will do what i want.   also sorry for the slow reply guys. 

If you set the button so that it set's it to a level then that will turn it on and it should have a off function as well. And for the smartthings button check out the scripting forum for a smartthings button piston

Edited by Larry Underwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

having the ikea button set to 80% didn't work that good. when you press to turn the light off it just turns 9 off the 10 lights off. sometimes just 8 off them. So not sure what's up with that. so will try the ST button now insted and see how that goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Lordy - So you should be able to do this within your automation.  If you're just using the Lighting automation, you can set (what is technically known as a deadband) for 15 minutes.

 

Smartapps -> Smart Lighting -> Pick your automation -> Turn off after Motion Stops -> Set 15 minutes.

Now since you're creating this slow rise to 30-40% you probably have something more complex.  Still....

Within the new app base automations, once you've turned on a light, you can set an Auto Turn Off.  Just go back into that automation in the new app and you'll see it and can set a 15 minute time frame. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...