Automate Life

The Basics

The Samsung SmartThings Smart Bulb is a ZigBee smart light that allows dimming control.  It connects primarily through a Samsung SmartThings Hub (though this guide could deal with other connections in the future) and allows you to set up automations based on other equipment connected to your SmartThings Hub.

Due to the nature of the bulb being ZigBee, a ZigBee hub is required and must be used for initial set up.

How To Setup The SmartThings Bulb

The following video is From Automate Your Life Tutorials and shows a simple setup of the SmartThings Bulb.

• Like 1

How To Use

Although there are many ways to use this bulb, the setup video above shows how you can use the base automations within the new Samsung SmartThings application to turn on (and off) the bulb at scheduled times.  You can also set it up to turn off after a number of seconds/minutes/hours after it's been turned off.  That's shown in the above video briefly.

The more often way to use the Samsung SmartThings bulb is within the standard Smart Lighting "Smart App" inside of the SmartThings application.  Within that Smart App, you can configure your smart bulb to turn on and off based on things like motion sensors, contact sensors, time of day, and many other components.  (a video or tutorial page would be good here if anyone has one for using the Smart Lighting Smart App).

Options For Integration

Samsung SmartThings directly integrates with Google Home, Amazon Alexa, IFTTT, and many other platforms through the Connected Services in your SmartThings application.  You'll find that within the menu and the Gear Icon.  If you haven't already done so, you can add an integration by hitting the plus button and then choosing to "Add Voice Assistant".  This will give you the ability to control Samsung SmartThings devices, including your Smart Bulbs through your voice assistant.

FAQ's

1.  Do I Need a Hub With the SmartThings Smart Bulb?

Yes, due to the fact that this is a ZigBee bulb, you will need a Smart Hub.  As of yet, Automate Life members have only used Samsung SmartThings with this device.

2.  Can I use IFTTT to control the SmartThings Smart Bulb?

Yes, go to IFTTT.com, create an account (if you don't already have one), search for the SmartThings service and then "Connect" your SmartThings account to IFTTT.  From there, you'll be able to create applets or use existing ones to manage your Smart Bulb.

3. Can I temperature control the SmartThings Smart Bulb?

No.  This is only a dimming smart bulb (what is the temperature of the bulb...2700k?)

4. Can I control the color of the SmartThings Smart Bulb?

No. This is only a single color (white) smart bulb with dimming capability.

Sign in to follow this