Automate Life
David

Thinking about adding smartthings.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm apprehensive about new things. Compared to many of the others here I have tried to keep things simple. My only hubs are in the Echo devices so I am limited to wifi and zigbee .

Amazon and Best Buy have just reduced the smartthings products and I'm just wondering if it is worth adding to my home.  

I have 1 smartthings multi purpose sensor that always shows as unrsponsive on the Alexa app yet it will usually tell me the correct open/closed state and works in my routines but it will not tell me what time something was open or closed. I can ask Alexa the temperature of the device but the app will not display it. I am also unable to use the tilt feature of the sensor. I assume the limitations are a result of not having the smartthings hub?

I also realize that I'm limited in my pallet of colors in my bulbs by not using the manufacturers hubs too (Hue, Sylvania, etc)

And then there is the complete lack of any zwave in my setup.

So as someone who has most if not all the house already connected is it worth going down this road?

I'm neck deep into the Alexa ecosystem and it would basically take an act of God to get me to switch over to Google which would then require a separate zigbee hub.

What really cool stuff have you guys used, done or created with smartthings  that would motivate me to jump in?

• Like 2

I would say it depends on what you want to do with your automation's. If you want to do more then what you are doing now then I would say go for it. There is a lot of support for the smartthings hub, plus it is a very stable and reliable hub.

As far as what can be done, have you checked out some of my webcore scripts in the scripting forum?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David said:

I'll be the first to admit that I'm apprehensive about new things. Compared to many of the others here I have tried to keep things simple. My only hubs are in the Echo devices so I am limited to wifi and zigbee .

Amazon and Best Buy have just reduced the smartthings products and I'm just wondering if it is worth adding to my home.  

I have 1 smartthings multi purpose sensor that always shows as unrsponsive on the Alexa app yet it will usually tell me the correct open/closed state and works in my routines but it will not tell me what time something was open or closed. I can ask Alexa the temperature of the device but the app will not display it. I am also unable to use the tilt feature of the sensor. I assume the limitations are a result of not having the smartthings hub?

I also realize that I'm limited in my pallet of colors in my bulbs by not using the manufacturers hubs too (Hue, Sylvania, etc)

And then there is the complete lack of any zwave in my setup.

So as someone who has most if not all the house already connected is it worth going down this road?

I'm neck deep into the Alexa ecosystem and it would basically take an act of God to get me to switch over to Google which would then require a separate zigbee hub.

What really cool stuff have you guys used, done or created with smartthings  that would motivate me to jump in?

That's really interesting (Act of God intervention needed), because I would also need an angel to tell me that Alexa is the way to go; I am Google and Hubitat right now. I just picked and started. I had an Android phone, thought I needed to start with Google Home because of the integration. I'm happy its working out. Now it's introducing Hubitat, and it's opened a bunch of doors. I am 'intentfully' working with these two things, because I know Alexa and SmartThings can hold their own out in the marketplace. However, Hubitat can provide some reliability as well.

I added a WiFi switch for the first time; I was really excited about that. Of course everything else is WiFi (bulbs, speakers, etc). However, I want to go Z-Wave and install GE Enbrighten switches right now because I can see that I setup my home automation, I'm going to need some reliability and redundancy to make sure they always work. Also, in some situations, the WiFi drops out, so for me Z-Wave could be great (and there was a rumor that Hubitat was the only 'local' hub out there - we know that's going to change).

@AYL_Brianis now suggesting I introduce Alexa into the household; I think it will be good too. Let's see how everything mixes together. I think if I can place my hubs in the right spot and ensure I plan out or map it out on paper/in-my-head.

You should check out Brian's videos on and search for SmartThings or even take a look at the home tour videos. You'll see some amazing stuff. Of course @Larry Underwood can help you with anything SmartThings.

All that to say; I think we're going to have to get thinking about having more than one ecosystem (Like SmartThings plus.. Google, or SmartThings plus Alexa, or Hubitat plus Google, Hubitat plus Amazon) to get everything to work properly.

Edited by AYL_Alan
  • Like 1