Automate Life
Brian W

Smart Thermostats

I currently have 3 zones in my home, and in one zone I have a nest thermostat. I am getting ready to add thermostats in my other zones, and I was considering trying the ecobee line. So my question to all of you is which thermostats do you use, and what do you like/dislike about them. Also can anyone explain the difference between the new ecobee with voice assistant and the ecobee 3 lite?  Is it really just the voice assistant?

@AYL_Alan has an ecobee.  Give your insight there sir!

I think the concern I'd have is switching up to another system and leaving the Nest intact.  This would double reliability issues from the two separate cloud services, right?  The other thing I can add is, I do believe we'll be getting a Nest lineup refresh later in 2020....

Finally, I like Honeywell's stuff because they build in additional layers of reliability.  This is because they're a commercial and residential supplier...as well as industrial.  I don't have one myself right now though

@AYL_Brian I agree with the issues with the second cloud system concern. My reasoning for considering this is that with Google/Nest not playing nice with SmartThings it limits some of the automation I want to have the option for. My home is google voice assistant home managed with SmartThings, and as I got started with my smart home around 1.5 years ago I was google only to start so I didn’t account for platform integrations. 

11 hours ago, Brian W said:

I currently have 3 zones in my home, and in one zone I have a nest thermostat. I am getting ready to add thermostats in my other zones, and I was considering trying the ecobee line. So my question to all of you is which thermostats do you use, and what do you like/dislike about them. Also can anyone explain the difference between the new ecobee with voice assistant and the ecobee 3 lite?  Is it really just the voice assistant?

I had both. I started with the nest, and o was really impressed, however it was their first thermostat, and the world of smarts back then was only just programming and maybe some eco/conservation stuff. I noticed that it dropped off of WiFi a few times. I now have 2 zones with ecobee3. I am so happy with it. The installation walkthrough was great, and the sensors could be made to take the average or as a motion sensor. I really liked the user interface of the ecobee 3 and the app. Then you can use the Eco+ option and ecobee will then modify the temperature for you based on use, time of day. There is a difference between what nest does and what nest does here. You can change lots of settings quite easily with the ecobee 3.

I opted to stay with ecobee 3 vs the newer ones because i did not need Alexa at the thermostat locations at the time. I think that is the major difference.

Hope that helps,

Alan