Automate Life
richardmartin9

Looking for suggestions re best smart light/fan switches

Hi all. Another newbie here. I want to change out many of my light/fan switches to smart switches. 

I was thinking about Lutron Caseta but saw a review that Says they look/feel kind of cheap implying that there was something better overall. So I decided to open up the question on the best solution. It may be Lutron in the end. 

So do you all have thoughts on what smart switches I should think about and why?  

Thank you 

• Like 1

I use the GE Enbrighten Light Switches and use there fan switches as well. These are z-wave switches so you well need a hub (I use the smartthings hub myself), but for reliability you can't beat them. I know a lot of people will say wifi switches are great and they are but I've heard a lot others say they had problems with them dropping out.

Anyway that is what I would suggest.

• Like 2

I use the Meross wifi switches. Dimmers for lights and standard for fans. I still need to pull the chain to change speeds. I've had them installed since March with no issues.

4 hours ago, Larry Underwood said:

I use the GE Enbrighten Light Switches and use there fan switches as well. These are z-wave switches so you well need a hub (I use the smartthings hub myself), but for reliability you can't beat them. I know a lot of people will say wifi switches are great and they are but I've heard a lot others say they had problems with them dropping out.

Anyway that is what I would suggest.

Yes, I am hoping to get some GE Enbrighten Light switches in the household too; I just used the Kasa TP-Link WiFi switch, and it works pretty good too. The reason why I'm looking out for the Enbrighten series as @Larry Underwood mentioned is because it uses Z-Wave instead of the Wi-Fi, so it doesn't risk Wi-Fi dropping out, and I have not had any issues with Z-Wave so far; however, you will need a hub, like SmartThings Hub, Hubitat, etc. which is also pretty easy to use.

6 hours ago, richardmartin9 said:

I was thinking about Lutron Caseta but saw a review that Says they look/feel kind of cheap implying that there was something better overall. So I decided to open up the question on the best solution. It may be Lutron in the end. 

On a side note i used to have the wink hub and it supported Lutron Caseta. It had their clear connect radio built-in. It was the only switches that I had a problem with when I had my wink hub. When I switched over to smartthings as it doesn't support their clear connect protocol I removed them and replaced them with the GE Ebrighten ones and have never had a single problem with them.

Edited by Larry Underwood

That's my recommendation too.  The GE Enbrighten ones!  It's a great series that can work all over your home in fans, lights, 3-way switches...all the situations.