Automate Life
AYL_Brian

AYL Smart Home Video Ideas - The Thread

Alright Automaters, this was a great idea from @HughD!  Go ahead and leave below what you'd like to see for videos on the channel.  I'm not going to respond to each and every suggestion, but we'll put it on our list of ideas for 2020 and beyond!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David said:

I would like to see you resume the smart home tours of others.

I second the return of the home tours. 

I also think it could be valuable for people to see more than just products. So perhaps a series of videos related to WebCore. I know I avoided trying WebCore for a while because it seemed like a more difficult thing than it turned out to be. Other instructional vids could include other simple items like best places to mount sensors, effective uses and configurations using IFTTT, or perhaps something like “if you use this smart device this way it will fail”.  An example of that last item might be the functionality of smart cameras looking thru a glass window. 

• Like 2

More product (3rd party) reviews of IoT devices

The other routers (For the smart home) that are available will keep you busy. Sorry, that's still on my mind. LOL
Asus, Amplify has two new prosumer/home style offerings among a crapton of others from inexpensive to expensive.
More security/network stuff too. Pfft, security, I'll watch it! LOL (me and a couple dozen at least) 

Anyway, there has to be more to it than thermostats, cameras and smart plugs.

Air quality sensors. uHoo is awesome but a company called Awair makes affordable devices. Include the IFTTT integration for both.
Weather stations
Blinds/Shades. Tilt (MySmartBlinds) iBlinds Ikea, DIY vs companies like Hunter Douglas.
Smart ceiling fans,
etc...
 Do we have a robot that can get me a beer yet LOL

• Like 1

Get ready to make the switch.
That was the headline for an email that Samsung sent out to all Smartthings app users.

You could do a video about how to best make that switch.

I for one had to search long and hard to find the "Repair Z-wave network" option in the new app.

I have in the classic Smart Home monitor app many custom rules that involves delays. If front door is open for more than five minutes a lamp will turn on an set the color to read, a message will read out loud that the door is open, and so on. I have many other rules that also might need a tutorial.

How to think when using the new Automations and Scenes in the new app, how to keep functionality from the old app to the new.

The Smartthings guys tells us in a forum post that they have worked hard with their native DTH and that they are mostly local. How to identify these new DTH and use those instead of custom DTH.

What do you Brian think is better with the new app and their new way of thinking.

I think this in a video could be beneficial for a lot of us users.
To get a rundown from you and also have followup videos when the Samartthings team update and improve the new Smarthings app with  more functionality.

This is the forum post that I have been reading.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/get-ready-to-make-the-switch/183948/454

Cheers and keep up the good work,

//Peter

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Get ready to make the switch.
That was the headline for an email that Samsung sent out to all Smartthings app users.

You could do a video about how to best make that switch.

I for one had to search long and hard to find the "Repair Z-wave network" option in the new app.

I have in the classic Smart Home monitor app many custom rules that involves delays. If front door is open for more than five minutes a lamp will turn on an set the color to read, a message will read out loud that the door is open, and so on. I have many other rules that also might need a tutorial.

How to think when using the new Automations and Scenes in the new app, how to keep functionality from the old app to the new.

The Smartthings guys tells us in a forum post that they have worked hard with their native DTH and that they are mostly local. How to identify these new DTH and use those instead of custom DTH.

What do you Brian think is better with the new app and their new way of thinking.

I think this in a video could be beneficial for a lot of us users.
To get a rundown from you and also have followup videos when the Samartthings team update and improve the new Smarthings app with  more functionality.

This is the forum post that I have been reading.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/get-ready-to-make-the-switch/183948/454

Cheers and keep up the good work,

//Peter

Yeah I'll second this request too 👍

Well hello!  

I definitely want to help guide folks through the transition here!  I've actually already prepared a full walkthrough (although...I never did show that repair Z-Wave option...doh) of the new SmartThings application for next Wednesday (great minds think alike), and I'm going to talk about the start of that transition process on Sunday!  I'll try to keep up with it all guys, but this one is SO complex!!!

• Like 2

Great Brian,

I also have started to play around with the "transition".

One thing I miss from the Smart Home monitor (classic app) is the ability to have some delay (minutes) before an action.

Example:  The front door has been open for 5 minutes, then turn on a light with color red, send an sms and read out loud a message from a connected speaker. This can be achieved in the classic app under custom configuration.

That however is not the case with the Smartthings Home monitor (new app). There is an option for delay that had me fooled to believe that the same thing could be achieved but no.

The delay in the new app regarding the above example is: The front door opens and closes, after 5 minutes the light turns red and so on. Not the same!

If someone knows about a solution in the new app for this I'm eager to learn.

Cheers,

//Peter

Edited by Peter
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Larry Underwood said:

Use webcore. Sorry couldn't resist 😀

It's going to come Larry.  I just want to wait until we see the new version and Rules API so that I can jump on it at a time when people are really looking for it.

On 1/23/2020 at 12:19 PM, Peter said:

Great Brian,

I also have started to play around with the "transition".

One thing I miss from the Smart Home monitor (classic app) is the ability to have some delay (minutes) before an action.

Example:  The front door has been open for 5 minutes, then turn on a light with color red, send an sms and read out loud a message from a connected speaker. This can be achieved in the classic app under custom configuration.

That however is not the case with the Smartthings Home monitor (new app). There is an option for delay that had me fooled to believe that the same thing could be achieved but no.

The delay in the new app regarding the above example is: The front door opens and closes, after 5 minutes the light turns red and so on. Not the same!

If someone knows about a solution in the new app for this I'm eager to learn.

Cheers,

//Peter

It's a two stage process at the moment.  This will be one of those things that they said they'll be working on.  It's the custom configuration they said isn't there for a while yet.

1 - Test the front door is open - Set a Virtual Switch On in 5 minutes

2 - Virtual Switch is on AND Front door is open - Set light to red.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, Peter said:

My solution would involve using another Hub called Hubitat. There is a built-in app you can add called "Hubitat Safety Monitor" that has all these feature and more. In this app you can pick devices such as motion detectors, contact sensors. (if they are compatible with Hubitat) to monitor your dwelling and it will give you options as light warning and voice warnings (from smart speakers) as well as text.
The one con I know of is (I think) it does not have a 911 option.
besides intrusion detection there is other features such as fire and water leak features

BTW, there is ST Hub integration to make the migration easier. This is not a migration tool, just a Hub linker.

• Like 1

What do you think about this product https://fogsale.com/products/wireless-wifi-camera-with-sensori-night-vision?fbclid=IwAR08C0OPUXDnU2DCK6RzZS7HY6qZba1lGHvJ3dxGyS_uJRIvkZ5kiBqtWNw