Automate Life
FrankE

Checking out the Echo Glow

I testing an Echo Glow Echo Glow as a potential "reminder Light" for Seniors. The basic look of the device and colors are fine, but its a bit of a strange device.

At first I thought it might be an Alexa Gadget, like the Echo Button, but its not a gadget, yet it doesn't connect like other Echo devices or even smart lights/plugs

The setup procedure tried to use a QR code (it failed) and also a hard reset (worked). The setup process is through adding the device as a Echo light.

The bad news is that this "light" can only be controlled be Alexa... no other controllers 

I light patterns are ok, but there is no simple commands like Toggle or Flash. 

It does have a button, but I see no way to trigger Routines from it... something I was hoping that a Senior could use to acknowledge the light

Echo Glow specs.JPG

That feels like a real throttling of potential use cases for this device 🤔 The marketing around the Echo Glow was very much as it being a device for children/children's rooms which makes me think they've made a concerted decision to keep it relatively light on functionality 

Good little review @FrankE.  I felt this way about the Amazon Smart Plug too...like just pulled back from being truly great because of Amazon building only within their platform.  The miss on routines is really bad...and really disappointing. 😞

• Like 1