Automate Life
TonyT

Wiki pages?

Now this will be some work to locate suitable software, install and configure .   But it might be nice to have a Wiki site to go along with the forums to make pages that have current knowledge.  For example I'm thinknig of purchasing some Wyze products but then I discover they don't ship to Canada.   And I have some questions on Wyze products for which I've found the answers by browsing many forum postings here.   I'm also, currently, a fast reader but I will soon be using a text to speach reader.  <sigh>

Having a Wiki page with the basics of the Wyze platform described.   Paragraphs such as which products require the Wyze sensor bridge and which don't.   Information that's hard to figure out no the Wyze website.

Note that I'm not at all suggesting that Brian actually create these pages.  Let the users of thiese forums create and maintain the pages.   

And yes I'm full of ideas and very little use in actually implementing them.  <smile>

• Like 2

So we've been talking about this very idea!  So thank you @TonyT!  We just don't know how to implement just yet, as...you're right, this isn't something we could do.

Now what we had discussed was a forum board that was for these kinds of things.  We thought a page per device and thought we could   We could also do blog type pages, or yes...get the installation of a Wiki done.  All of that is possible.  

I think the easiest would be to create a forum board and then let other folks add as they see fit or edit the posts.  The problem would be managing that, but this could be very easily done by "Quoting" the previous user, adding your 2 cents, posting, and then having an admin or board moderator delete the previous post.  This was my initial thought.

Any other thoughts?

The idea solution would require no admin work after setup but we knew that.  <smile>    I was wondering if your forum software had such an option which would just be easily to implement but I assume not.

Can you setup forum security where all users can update all postings in that forum?  Unlikely but I thought I'd ask.    Or maybe users with five or ten postings so they are slightly trustworthy.   

Edited by TonyT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyT said:

The idea solution would require no admin work after setup but we knew that.  <smile>    I was wondering if your forum software had such an option which would just be easily to implement but I assume not.

Can you setup forum security where all users can update all postings in that forum?  Unlikely but I thought I'd ask.    Or maybe users with five or ten postings so they are slightly trustworthy.   

Still a really good idea @TonyT. Thank you for suggesting that!

Well, I always think the easiest way to do these things is to try!  @Official_Andrewstech, let me know what you're thinking and maybe we can implement something even better.

For now, what I'll do is create a forum board for what we'll call Wiki Pages - Guides for Your Smart Home Equipment, and I can start provide a bit of a format and rules around it.  It's really easy to set it up so only members have the ability to post and adjust.  We can do pretty much everything I think has been said here with a couple strokes of the ole pen. 😉

• Like 2

I have put together a basic format and a basic first guide.  Looking for moderators for this board, as you'll have to approve new replies and new guides coming in.

Any thoughts on where to stick the guide template?  I was thinking one per board, as a sticky?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

I have put together a basic format and a basic first guide.  Looking for moderators for this board, as you'll have to approve new replies and new guides coming in.

Any thoughts on where to stick the guide template?  I was thinking one per board, as a sticky?

That sounds good, I would be happy to help! 😁

Hey @Official_Andrewstech - I've made you a Moderator of those boards so you should start to see a queue if people submit them.  I may try a test with you from a user account, or if someone else wants to try and start a guide and then let us know, I think that would help a lot!

@Larry Underwood - Super good idea!  I know someone who might just contribute to one of those once that's up there!

4 hours ago, Larry Underwood said:

As @Official_Andrewstech just got through saying I would be happy to help! 😁

You wanna be a moderator, or wanna build guides?  I know a good guide we could just pull together for a certain Core of Webs... 😉

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

You wanna be a moderator, or wanna build guides?  I know a good guide we could just pull together for a certain Core of Webs... 😉

Whatever you need Brian just let me know.

• Like 1