Automate Life
FrankE

Trying out the Echo Flex

I just received an Echo Flex with motion sensor plugin and light plugin

My intended use case is for a compact plug-mounted Echo with an integral motion sensor in the kitchen and bathroom of a senior's home.

The Echo Flex can support either a plug-in motion sensor or a plug-in light.

The light supports a wide range of colors and brightness

echo flex.jpg

echo flex light.jpg

• Like 2

That's great Frank, I would love to hear how these work out; I'm wondering whether this is a good addition for my kids rooms or hallways

• Like 1

I used it for a couple of days and have mixed feelings about it. Its a nice package for an Echo as it doesn't require a mount/table space and cord management.

Of course, the speaker isn't Echo Dot quality, but its OK for voice use

My use as an AC powered motion sensor and low-cost Echo with motion sensor in a bathroom and kitchen is working fine where there are power outlets at a usable level.

I need to try at an ankle-level outlet for my room guidance project. I typically need a more controlled motion sensor field of view.

It can also serve as the "reminder light", although continuous color changing requires the use of webCoRE verses the Sunbeam light I've been using

• Like 1

Yeah this has been a really mixed bag type of device initially.  I've seen some people absolutely love it, but I think the speaker is getting most folks right off the bat.

• Like 1

One tip I picked up from Craig's site was that the Echo Flex can serve as a hub for a motion sensor

This means that if you are building a small Alexa-only system, say for your Mom, you no longer need to add a hub if you want to add a motion sesnor

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:09 AM, FrankE said:

One tip I picked up from Craig's site was that the Echo Flex can serve as a hub for a motion sensor

This means that if you are building a small Alexa-only system, say for your Mom, you no longer need to add a hub if you want to add a motion sesnor

Better off getting an Echo with a hub built in and having separate motion sensors. Getting a Flex with the additional motion sensor attachment for each area you want motion detection will get pricey fast.

• Like 1

That is true, but you don't need to worry about checking batteries in those Echo Flex motion sensors. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, FrankE said:

That is true, but you don't need to worry about checking batteries in those Echo Flex motion sensors. 

That's a really good point.

I just found a use for the Echo Flex in my Use Case for Seniors with Samsung devices. I mentioned in a different post that I'm using their Samsung phone to speak notifications such as calendar, reminders and SmartThings... but there is no Samsung audio-only device (yet)

So I'm using their phone with Bluetooth while they are in the home to speak through an Echo Flex (actual Samsung can support dual BT devices) to speak the notification. The reason the Echo Flex works better than an Echo Dot in my case is that there is no local volume control so they can't turn it down by mistake

I also found that an app called "Bluetooth auto connect" does a great job of reconnecting to the Echos when they return home

• Like 2