Automate Life
FrankE

Nest Hello Doorbell Motion detection

My Nest Hello Doorbell will  display video on my Google hub when someone pushes the button.

1. Is there a way to get it to do that based on motion detection?

2. Is there a way to get motion event or even  the button push, to turn on a smart plug?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankE said:

hmm, not even the doorbell button? 

If you haven't upgraded through the Works With Nest program, I think you could still use IFTTT but someone would have to step in that has a doorbell from Nest with that program still active.  With the Works with Google Assistant program...not yet.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:17 PM, AYL_Brian said:

If you haven't upgraded through the Works With Nest program, I think you could still use IFTTT but someone would have to step in that has a doorbell from Nest with that program still active.  With the Works with Google Assistant program...not yet.

Agree with Brian that there's no simple way to do what you want. I have multiple Nest cameras including the doorbell and for any external ones I have made the feed public and that allows me to display them either in Home Assistant or Actiontiles or DakBoard. Great if you have a permanent display like using a chromebit on a TV in kiosk mode or have a tablet on the wall (public streams do have about a 10 second delay). As for motion, if you have SmartThings you could get the NST Manager and also install the stream component which will then publish motion and sound events to SmartThings (and in turn to HA, AT, Dak etc). However, those motion events are not based on zones you've created in the Nest App but just if NST Manager notices movement so it's of limited use.

I've read some unusual solutions to detecting the door bell being pressed, including attaching a motion sensor to the hardwired chime or using a relay but as I said all too complex for most people, including me. Here's an example: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/nest-hello-doorbell-detect-button-press-via-relay/131748/6

• Like 1

Good example there @Swampylee - I think we'll see this proverbial dam break in a few months @FrankE.  It's just not there now because of how slow Google's been with their automation setup.

• Like 1