Automate Life
FrankE

Multiple SmartThings hubs

Its my understanding that SmartThings does not allow multiple hubs on an account at a single location, but supports multiple hubs on an account IF they are separate locations, e.g. a vacation home

Is it possible to add a second hub at first location, before deploying it to the second location?

edit... In my testing of this, I'll able to configure the 2nd hub and add all the devices at the first location. It seems to work find in the SmartThings IDE and SmartThings mobile app allowing me to select which hub I want to work on.

But, it looks like I need a separate webCoRE account for each location (hub)… is that correct?

Edited by FrankE
webCore question
  • Like 2

Yep!  That's what I've found too.  I was just speaking with someone about this option yesterday.  The really tricky thing about this is dealing with the radios.  It's not easy, so you really have to plan location wise how you do this and how you connect your devices.  You can't change the radio channels on SmartThings, so it may actually make sense in some cases to do dual hubs with a separate vendor (hubitat, etc.).

Well, I finally got it worked out. This is so I can deploy a SmartThings hub in another state for a person who can't set it up or manage it.

The interesting thing about this is that I was able to configure the second hub here and just give it a different location name. Then I could easily manage both locations with my one SmartThings account in both the IDE and mobile app. Even Alexa understood there were two locations and asked which one I wanted when importing the devices on the other user's Alexa account.

The only complexity I ran into was that webCoRE required (as far as I can tell) a separate browser to manage pistons for that other hub. The good news is that I could "restore a piston using backup code" to get existing pistons across locations

• Like 1

Oh that's very interesting.  Yeah so right now there's no integrator options for you to setup and deploy.  With all your connections at Samsung, you should tell them to make that a priority!!!

• Like 1

Its funny. I know a lot of people on the Bixby side, but not on the SmartThings side...

Since they have hired Adrian from webCoRE, I'm sure he will get this taken care of along with my concern about virtual switches and other SmartApps going away as they switch to an API.

Larry has a means to get in touch with him.

• Like 2

I ran into a problem using IFTTT in this configuration.

While IFTTT can definitely see that there are TWO locations in the SmartThings account and it offers me the choice of  which location and devices I want, when I go to set an action for a device it only shows me the devices from the wrong location...

Reset the account several times...

looks like a known issue https://community.smartthings.com/t/smart-things-hub-at-two-locations/89423/8

Edited by FrankE
added link
  • Like 1