Automate Life
FrankE

SmartThings Vision Camera

I have been testing the SmartThings Vision camera as a potential device for detecting a person sitting in a couch too long

http://Samsung SmartThings Vision https://www.samsung.com/au/mobile-iot/smartthings-vision-u999/

While it does a great job of person detection, it works best with a full body view. At SDC19 the SmartThings representative said they count on 60% of the body.

In my testing, the camera is not very good at detecting stationary persons, exhibiting the same characteristics as normal PIR motion sensors in that they are tuned to detect motion. In fact, my testing with combination PIR/RF sensors had the same characteristics.

Here is a sample video  https://youtu.be/EGd1hzdAFY8

Note that it does very well when I’m standing, fair when I’m sitting, as long as I kept moving, poor when I’m stationary

Frank couldn't you use smartthings motion sensors and create zones for each sensor so if a motion sensor in a different zone isn't active after a certain time period then do whatever it is you want to such as have alexa say you been setting to long get up 😏 I would think it would be fairly easy to automate with a webcore piston and the right amount of sensors pointed in the right direction.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the great suggestion.

I have been using that technique in a solution for tracker a senior around the home to see how much time they are spending in certain areas of the home like;  bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, living room. It what I call a  "Where's Waldo" approach, in that it relies on the last detected motion to be the person's location.

This technique is also used by commercial companies such as Best Buy Assured Living in the US, Billycare in Australia, and  MySense in the UK... just motion and contact sensors to track ADLs (Activities of Daily Living).

I will give your an idea a test as the concept of couch motion sensor "loss of detection" would no longer be issue as the couch potato timer would continue to run unless reset by a motion sensor in another area.

I could use your help in the piston area on this as I need a way to start that couch timer but NOT have it reset by addition motion trigger on the couch. I have had problem with a piston be retriggered on couch motion and the timer never finishing. Also, I would need a way to only start the couch timer when its the current area to be triggered, but not re-triggered. My workaround was to use variable indicating the timer state and using that as a condition to allow couch timer trigger

My problem is that for a "couch potato" solution its very difficult to properly mount contact sensors or to properly position PIR sensors to only pickup motion related to a person on the couch.  They tend to pick up other motion in the room would could be considered "still on the couch" even though they got up to stretch. I have found it very difficult to focus the PIR sensors as was hoping that this camera would help. 

I also tried some Nest cameras which offer 4 activity zones, but unless I mount them on the ceiling its hard to prevent "walk through triggers" in their field of view.

I have also been testing some ultrasonic distance sensors which actually work great detecting a person getting close to an area like walking up to s stove, sink or fridge, but are unreliable for detecting a sitting person verses an empty couch

I'm still working on a pressure pad solution that is dependable and comfortable.

edit... I forget to mention this is a two person household, so I need to NOT detect her husband walking around as an indication that she got up from the couch

Thanks,

Frank

Edited by FrankE
two person household
  • Like 1

I will certainly help with the webcore piston. I created a lockout timer expression that allows for what you would need as far as the motion sensor timers go. But didn't know there was more then one person in the household. That complicates maters a great deal as the motion sensors can't tell the difference between one person and the next. Not sure there would be a way around that problem with just motion sensors. And if the 2 (or more) people crossed into different zones at the same time then you would lose the ability to tracking each person separately.

Here is the lockout timer expression used in a webcore piston

lockout.thumb.PNG.1c59bab88273c417a56c5a3d2375e0f4.PNG

This is set to 30 seconds, but can be changed to minutes or even hours if needed. With this you could put all the motion sensors you wanted to use in a global variable and if motion stops set the lockout variable to what time in the future you want. Then if another motion sensor in a different zone is tripped set the variable to the future again. You would need to create global variables for each zone and put the sensors for each zone in the right global variables. But for a 1 person household it should work fine.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1

Hi Larry

Thanks for the solution. I may run I may run into a single person household needing this "couch potato" solution

Frank

• Like 1