Automate Life
FrankE

SmartThings talking back through Bixby

Samsung has described voice control through Bixby for SmartThings, e.g. turn off devices,  but NOT a way for SmartThings to talk back to Bixby. In looking for a way to do this, I used my previously described "Announcer Bixby Routine" which continuously loops and speaks any notifications received by the phone.

Then using SmartThings Automations, I was able to not only turn a reminder light at a specific time, respond to a button push to turn off the light, but also post a Notification to the Senior that gets spoken on the phone through the Bixby Routine.

Now we have two-way communication  Bixby <-> SmartThings 

Here is the YouTube video 

• Like 2

here are the details

Background

With good reason, phones are not set to “speak” reminders and therefore only provide text and audible notifications on a reminder. Who wants their phone talking to them on its own?.... Well, those with accessibility needs such as seniors with mild cognitive or motor impairments WANT their verbal assistants to speak reminders to them.

Potential Solution

Samsung has described voice control through Bixby for SmartThings, e.g. turn on/off devices,  but NOT a way for SmartThings to talk back to Bixby. In looking for a way to do this, I used my previously described "Announcer Bixby Routine" which continuously loops and speaks any notifications received by the phone.

Then using SmartThings Automations, I was able to not only turn a reminder light at a specific time, respond to a button push to turn off the light, but also post a Notification to the Senior that gets spoken on the phone through the Bixby Routine.

Now we have two-way communication  Bixby <-> SmartThings 

Samsung Galaxy phones with the One UI update such as the s10 shown in the referenced video, have the capability of “speaking” Notifications through Bixby Routines. This solution uses a “continuously active” Bixby Routine to speak Notifications as they occur. Reminders set notifications by default and should be minimized to reduce confusion.

This solution provides a spoken reminder to take a medication with the addition of a visual reminder in the form of a special light controlled by Samsung SmartThings (ST) that stays on until confirmed by the senior via button press.

YouTube video https://youtu.be/gRg7n0uwLZo

Implementation

·       Create a “always on” Bixby Routine to speak Notifications

·       Create an ST Automation trigged by time to turn on the light and create a Notification

o   “Time for your pill. I’ve turned on the Reminder Light. Push button after taking the pill”

·       Create an ST Automation triggered via a button press to turn off the light and create a Notification

o   “Thank you for taking your pill. I’m turning off the Reminder light”

• Like 3

It's like an alarm that you have to acknowledge or silence - very cool @FrankE. You've created some great processes.

What happens if the person is not there for a period of time or does not take their pill? Is there a window of time the person needs to take the pill before the sequence starts over again?

Hi Alan,

My solution is not a full-fledged medication compliance tracker by any means… Many companies are trying to produce such a device... most fail

I think of my  approach as more of a reminder to do a task like "get up and stretch" for couch potatoes like myself. I tend to forgot to take a daily allergy pill, even with a spoken reminder and tend to postpone it... seeing the light gets my attention later on as I'm walking around

I also have a way to put the notification up on the TV screen where it stays if I need a more "in your face" reminder

On 11/1/2019 at 6:25 PM, FrankE said:

Hi Alan,

My solution is not a full-fledged medication compliance tracker by any means… Many companies are trying to produce such a device... most fail

I think of my  approach as more of a reminder to do a task like "get up and stretch" for couch potatoes like myself. I tend to forgot to take a daily allergy pill, even with a spoken reminder and tend to postpone it... seeing the light gets my attention later on as I'm walking around

I also have a way to put the notification up on the TV screen where it stays if I need a more "in your face" reminder

Either way, it's pretty amazing that you're bringing solutions to help people in a very very practical way.

• Like 1

Thanks...  It's been an interesting transition as I move from focusing on Amazon Alexa to Samsung Bixby and Samsung SmartThings. Somethings are easier, some are harder 

• Like 1