Automate Life
FrankE

Interesting news about SmartThings & Webcore

I have some interesting news about SmartThings, WebCore and Sharptools.

I have had this fear that SmartThings was going to make it more difficult to use WebCore but instead they are going to actually support and PROMOTE it at SDC19 !! https://www.samsungdeveloperconference.com/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=outreachkit&utm_campaign=sdp2019&utm_term=smartthings

They are unveiling their new API and actually offering a lab using WebCore... no mention of ActionTiles...

I'll be attending and let you know what I find out

ST- Webcore & SharpTools.GIF

ST- webcore code lab.GIF

• Like 2

I have seen some screen shots of the new API and saw a list of the feature set, but nothing more then that.

Wish I could go but there's no way my company would let me go until we get the current project finished. Will very much be looking forward to whatever you can tell us frank.

Edited by Larry Underwood

Hi Larry.... I just noticed that Samsung SmartThings has actually hired Adrian..... This means they are really serious about supporting WebCore

I'll post all the info I get

Frank

WebCore Adrian.jpg

Webcore ST.jpg

ST Rules API.jpg

8 hours ago, FrankE said:

Hi Larry.... I just noticed that Samsung SmartThings has actually hired Adrian..... This means they are really serious about supporting WebCore

I'll post all the info I get

Frank

Thanks @FrankE like @Stukes I'll be very interested in anything you can send our way.

Wish i could go. Makes me wish i was retired already 😀

There are some really interesting topics there.  They are talking just a ton about using SmartThings to go to an enterprise and business level.  The MQTT stuff is interesting too, as they're trying to encourage that within their WiFi devices.  Wild stuff with Tizen too...as I thought lots about Tizen was done for.

Yep.. and Tizen is in their watches, TVs and lower-end phones. They are also promoting a RealTime version for IoT 

I have the Samsung Galaxy smartwatch and it has worked very well. Have been very happy with it. Not cheap by any means, but worth it I think.

• Like 1

Hi Larry, I also have a Galaxy smartwatch. I like the way it can do "couch potato" (inactivity)  reminders, but haven't figured out a way to get those reminders spoken or sent to my phone

2 hours ago, FrankE said:

Hi Larry, I also have a Galaxy smartwatch. I like the way it can do "couch potato" (inactivity)  reminders, but haven't figured out a way to get those reminders spoken or sent to my phone

I don't use the reminders a whole lot but there are some notification options in the galaxy wearable app that changes how they are/not displayed

1913466820_Screenshot_20191023-130353_GalaxyWatchPlugIn.thumb.jpg.51b2dfefe8386138f7b87635e250e519.jpg

I'm sure you have most likely been here but thought I'd mention it just in case. Haven't seen any way to get the watch or the phone to speak them though.

Yeah, a bunch of them but no "inactivity alert" or spoken option... I will bug them about it at the show 

Adrian said his talk about webcore would be out on youtube in about a week so looking forward to it.

webcore.PNG.226794d44ecdb3def45dceb705fc296b.PNG

In the mean time here are some screen shots of his talk

wcscreen1.jpeg.349443694e951cd770dda5cdd515e695.jpeg

wcscreen2.jpeg.2965aa80b29bd6105c9b49d73e49f1b5.jpeg

wcscreen3.jpeg.8f03f54d931a206e4e06b2ec5d9028ef.jpeg

wcscreen4.jpeg.c054c63fd2719bb6d3ffc671aa9b2fa4.jpeg

There is a small part of the keynote video that talks about samsung supporting webcore in the future in the video below. This is the first official word from Samsung that this is going to happen.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting.

I was stuck in my demo booth when all the good sessions were going on.

I'm afraid that attendees were not given any special access to the presentation materials or videos and were just told to wait for the videos on YouTube

Frank

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Oh that's really sad @FrankE - I think they should have at least given you a tour or something...You did all that work with them!

I did get to chat up the SmartThings guys also demoing on the exhibit floor and may have found the "couch potato" detector I have been looking for.

Even though I'm just part of a family-run non-profit, Samsung paid for a booth for me to exhibit along with the rest of their "partners", so I could hardly complain...

I did get to pitch my vision of kids helping their parents with DIY technology to everyone who visited my booth.

SDC19 Booth partners.jpg

SDC19 booth logo.jpg

SDC19 booth  setup.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankE said:

Hi Larry, I love his description of what it currently takes to setup WebCore... Frank

Yea me to. Tried the new webcore and as he said it has a ways to go before it can do what the current one does but as he showed no installing required and is much faster. Not that the current webcore is slow mind you.