Automate Life
Brian W

Turning old smartphones into security cameras

I was thinking thru how to make good use of some old cell phones we have and turn them in to security cameras. But my question is has anyone found one that integrates with SmartThings and/or Google Home?  If you have done the cell phone security camera thing but not integrated it in to your smart home, what apps have you found that work best?  

On 10/16/2019 at 11:23 PM, Brian W said:

I was thinking thru how to make good use of some old cell phones we have and turn them in to security cameras. But my question is has anyone found one that integrates with SmartThings and/or Google Home?  If you have done the cell phone security camera thing but not integrated it in to your smart home, what apps have you found that work best?  

I tried a couple apps for old smart phones to be used for security and was disappointed in either cost for storage or their performance. So I have used old phones for loading Actiontiles for placing around the house.  They come in handy for quick reference or a way to turn off lights when not wanting to use a smart speaker to not disturb others. 

After giving up on old smartphones as security cameras at about the same time I found out about Wyze cams. I have purchased 4 of them and they work great 

Love my WYZE cams. Use them outside. But being a coder I know how easy it is to hack into cameras and use them to see people inside there house, so will never have a camera inside.

Sadly, I haven't found one that integrates with SmartThings or Google Home.  I've used a few apps for old iPads...but I kid you not...I just deleted the app about a month ago and I can't remember it right now!  It was OK...but more just notified when it saw someone during the day.