Automate Life
MNA1966

Made by Google

The Made by Google Event
Who watched?

I'm interested in the new Router.
No rush though. I already have a great router but I have a problem with who owns them.
And the new mini. 

They didn't announce a Pixel 4a ☹️

Honestly the product that I wanted to see from them was the buds.  With google as my voice assistant of choice I was curious to learn more.  The range on them seems great, and a good battery life with the case.  But I am curious to hear how they sound, and more importantly for the GA potion of things, how well they can hear you.  

• Like 1

The Buds do look pretty cool, if the claims about the range are accurate then that deeply impressive. Still keep going they'll eventually release a Pixel watch

1 hour ago, Brian W said:

Honestly the product that I wanted to see from them was the buds.  With google as my voice assistant of choice I was curious to learn more.  The range on them seems great, and a good battery life with the case.  But I am curious to hear how they sound, and more importantly for the GA potion of things, how well they can hear you.  

Some other reviews are already out on YouTube. You probably know that.

I pre-ordered a new Mini to replace the one in my bathroom.

The new router is MU-mimo. The only thing the Eero has that Google Does not is it's a tri-band router which seems to help in my over-crowded wifi apartment. I don't know how important that is. Where I live most people don't connect to 5.0.

Over time I think the Tri-Band option will become a good one for those in apartments and close in homes, but I think it's going to be OK with 5 GHz for the most part because of the number of channels to pick from and the relatively short range.  I would think as things transfer to 5...it'll be just fine. 🙂

Oh, and if you didn't watch....

Anyone know if the new Nest Wifi will work locally without internet? On my Asus router, I could still see my POE cameras locally on my LAN if my internet went out. I already have the Google WiFi and that doesn't work locally.

If you are trying to access your cameras with there IP addresses then any router "should" allow you to access your IP camera's via the local LAN without needing access to the internet. Of course it will depend on the software your using and weather it needs access to the internet or not also. Are you using a Ethernet power injector to get power to your PoE cameras or are you using a PoE capable switch?

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Town Tech said:

Anyone know if the new Nest Wifi will work locally without internet? On my Asus router, I could still see my POE cameras locally on my LAN if my internet went out. I already have the Google WiFi and that doesn't work locally.

Agree with Larry!  Should!

I can't get the new Nest router out of my mind.
Plus, knowing Amazon won't be getting that data will be nice. I guess Google will, instead. Somehow, I think they may be the lesser of the two evils. Who knows. Alexa is still on my network so I'm probably still screwed. LOL

With the new Nest design I can put it more in the middle of my apartment with a long Ethernet cable. That way I should be able to get by with just the router. As long as I can get past the thick, metal, fire apartment door, where my Nest Hello is, I can get just the router.

AYL_Brian

I understand this router won't have Wifi 6, Is that a con in anyway?

I heard by many Wifi 6 is in 2020 but do you think we'll be waiting even longer for the infrastructure and ISP's (assuming ISP's will have anything to do with it if you have your own router)? Each state in the U.S. does their own infrastructure and where I live, it's a State that lags behind most states in that department.

The fact that Google, who is one of the main investors of Wifi 6, didn't put it in their  router tells me it will be longer than we think and everybody else who has put Wifi 6 in a router is just marketing their router.

Edited by MNA1966

Hey @MNA1966 - So I actually made a comment in a video I recorded today (but won't come out till next Sunday) about this.  Both Amazon and Google left WiFi 6 out, and I think the honest truth is that there are so few people that need that level of network speed right now that they just don't think it's worth it on a cost vs benefit basis.  I don't really either yet, as 802.11AC seems to be able to handle a ton of traffic at higher speeds.

Let's be clear...both of these companies want to sell you 20 cameras to stream in your home...and neither gave you a router or access point with WiFi 6 on it.  Something is amiss for sure...and I think it's just that we don't need it yet.

• Like 1

There must be must be more to it than that.

When has "They don't need it, yet" ever been a reason to stop a sale? 
Nobody needs a twerking stuffed bear, but we can get one! LOL It maybe true, though. I'd like to have it but if it's monetized in anyway to get it, I'll be fine without it.

I can believe the "There's no money in Wifi 6 much easier. 

Well, it looks like I'm waiting to the release of Wifi 6 or when it will be in my neighborhood. I don't want to upgrade next year, too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MNA1966 said:

There must be must be more to it than that.

When has "They don't need it, yet" ever been a reason to stop a sale? 
Nobody needs a twerking stuffed bear, but we can get one! LOL It maybe true, though. I'd like to have it but if it's monetized in anyway to get it, I'll be fine without it.

I can believe the "There's no money in Wifi 6 much easier. 

I'm sure that's part of it!  It's hard to make money when you don't sell any 😉

• Like 1

Of course I'll watch your video tomorrow but I read an article where it was mentioned the first version of Wifi 6 will be more like an (Beta 3) almost done and some tweaking will need to be done  before it's finished
In other words, WiFi 6 will be buggy at first plus we can add the unseen problems to that.
What is your opinion?

Another question (and this will probably have more to do with Canada vs USA) is the infrastructure. Do you know if it's going on simultaneously or is everybody waiting for WiFi 6 to be released?

I'm still deciding what I should do believe or not. I'm apprehensive. LOL and I have to unload an Eero. I will have a better chance before Wifi 6 is out.

I did a little digging into each routers privacy and what I found is this:

Eero/Amazon does indeed collect personal data to target you for advertisement including 3rd parties. Amazon, the Policy from Eero is hard to find. I had to rely on about half a dozen customer reviews. One in particular looked like a C&P of the actual Privacy policy

Google has a privacy policy right on there sales page, unlike Amazon.
their policy is just about opposite of Amazons. They don't collect personal data, they don't track visited websites, no data is collected for advertisement.
Data is only collected for performance. I looked at Google's DNS policy, too. My current Eero is set to CloudFlair. I should look at their P.P.

They are both currently under political fire for this.

Now, with Google, I just have to believe it. We all know a privacy policy can change like the weather in New England (that's where I'm from. The weather changes a lot).😃 Plus Brian help, too.

I think I'll order one from Google today.

Edited by MNA1966
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

I'll be very interested to know how it goes!

No problem. I'll let you know how things turn out.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:55 PM, MNA1966 said:
On 10/25/2019 at 1:21 PM, AYL_Brian said:

I'll be very interested to know how it goes!

Well, where I am is a tad (only slightly) disappointed in the range department. I bought just the router and I have two devices that keep dropping their connection. I live in a small apartment that's got to be under 750 ft. To be totally fair the two devices are furthest from the router and (the Kitchen display) is in its own outcove flanked by a couple of kitchen cabinets. That one is strange because in the Nest wifi test it get 295 Mbps The bathroom Nest Mini only gets 29 Mbps but it goes through three wall to get there I bet.
Tomorrow, I get an extension cord to put the router another three ft. higher. If that doesn't work I'm looking at another point at $150. fingers crossed.   

Any tips?

Plus, doing the wifi test I found an Android 2 device that doesn't belong to me. is there a way I can kick'em off my network with this router? and..(I have one more question, apparently) There is a way to change "modes" but I have to disable my network first.(?) I'm still looking for that in settings.
 I added a couple of screenshots one of my wifi test and the second is a speed test. The result are from a 300/20 package.

Screenshot_20191110-144840.png

Screenshot_20191110-144959.png

Edited by MNA1966

What I'd do is change your WiFi password and then reconnect all your devices and see if it comes back.  Just a test actually to see if you own the thing and it's just being named incorrectly!

In terms of losing connections, I'd bet it's more based on interference.  I'd actually try and see if you can change the channel and if that helps any!

Interference, hmmm.could be. LOL
BTW, i'm the green one. SSID is Matt.
I can't figure out, how to change channels! It's using the same google Wifi app.
Nest recommends leaving all the settings alone, too
I also seen on another forum Nest has an issue. In their FAQ's I saw something about Nest routers connecting with other Nest products.

I factory reset everything last night and two Nest (a Nest Mini and a Hub) are disconnected.
so is my Nest Hello doorbell. Everything was fine when I went to bed. I'll be calling Nest today. This thing probably needs a FW update or something.

Screenshot_20191113-104912.png

Edited by MNA1966

Geez.  A little congested hey?  So that's clearly going to be a problem.  I think Nest WiFi moves automatically though...

Where did you get that map though?

• Like 2

Yep, Apartment living! Ugh.

After getting off the phone and pulling some teeth with Nest I can't change channels or seperate the bands in anyway.
Actually, the help line botched the explanation from somebody else, but it must have something to do with the AI or their mesh technology and securities. It still equals to lack of controls

So falling into their trap, I bought a mesh point. One other way to get a stronger wifi signal in my situation is shout your wifi signal louder than the next guy. Next time I'll be on the lookout for Ubiquiti systems. Unifi Dream Machine I really don't think I want to take that on though. it's above $300 and that is just a starter piece. It's a pro-summer level of a Ubiquity system. Plus, I"d be giving up the bells and whistles of asking my Nest Hub for a internet speed test. I mean, c'mon. LOL

Ps, @AYL_Brian In that pic is a mobile app from the Play store called Wifi man, there is also an app called Wifi analyzer that is very similar. They both give you a full spectrum of the wifi signals around you and what channels are better for you. Some routers put you on Automatic and just dump you on a default channel. Some actually monitor the traffic and shift your channels around to the least busiest.

Edited by MNA1966

I got a mesh point today. Factory reset a few things to make sure they get connected with the point and stay connected, Doorbell was a PITA to get to but it's connected too. The signal is stronger.  I have to give it a day or two to see if anything gets disconnected but, I think I'm good. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

A 2 piece Nest WiFi in an apartment!  You'll certainly be drowning out the neighbours there!  ahahahaha