Automate Life
Neil

Blending Smartthings into existing system(s)

I have an established smart home system comprising:

• Google Home Hubs and Google Minis
  • Philips Hue Lights and Hub
  • Switchbot Hub with Switchbots and Meters

I have just purchased a Smartthings starter pack comprising:

• Smartthings Hub
  • Motion Sensors
  • Multipurpose Sensors

I also have a Google WiFi Mesh

Having just watched Brian's excellent Can You Use Multiple Smart Home Hubs video I am mindful of creating duplicates and generally messing things up.

Is there any risk in adding Philips Hue lights and Switchbot devices to Smartthings?

I'd like to set up some automation such as switching on a Hue light when a ST motion sensor is triggered. Being new to ST, I assume this can be done in the ST app, but am I going to mess things up by adding my Hue lights into ST?

Hoping to get some sage advice from those in the know.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Hey Neil!  Welcome!

Having all the stuff you just mentioned (and thanks for the video mention, by the way), I don't think you're going to mess anything up!  Put those Hue lights into ST (you can't put SwitchBot in directly...but folks here can help you use Virtual Switches).  The only thing you do is have Hue sync directly to Google and then not allow your Hue lights to come through ST.  Very simple!

You manage what goes through to Google inside of SmartThings on the settings page and in connected services (that's the new app).  Just uncheck those fancy Philips bulbs and you're well on your way to a very good setup I think.  You can still make all those automations you want with Hue + SmartThings...and I do the same!

• Like 1

Hey Neil, welcome to the community 👍 The virtual switches are really easy to integrrate into SmartThings, this is s good vid to show how its done quickly, it's where I learnt how to do it

Trust me I've made most of the mistakes that it's possible to make when building a smart home set up so someone may as well learn from them haha!

• Like 1