Automate Life
AYL_Brian

A Z-Wave Enabled Pressure Mat

This sort of use case is pretty well what the Sensative strips were made for 

@FrankE weren’t you looking for a sensor for a chair to detect someone seated. This might be a good fit for that. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Brian W said:

@FrankE weren’t you looking for a sensor for a chair to detect someone seated. This might be a good fit for that. 

I was just thinking the same thing 😀

• Like 2

Thanks to all for pointing  out this solution!

I have been trying a pressure mat similar to what was shown in the article with unsatisfactory results. 

The problem is that for the mat to work properly, it can't have any covering over it to make it more comfortable to the user.

I understand these are routinely placed in wheelchairs with occupancy alarms, so the occupancy has little chance to complain

What I'd really like is a "scale" type device to put under a leg on the lazy boy chair to detect a 100lb change. I've looked into strain gauges with a bridge, but would need an RP3 at the chair for that.

I really appreciate you all looking into this for me.

sensor mat.jpg

I'm thinking of a use case and all I can think of is use a Whoopie cushion and when the cushion is depleted the contact sensor turn on a flashing red light above their head. Maybe I'll stick to my original plan.
A seat on my couch is right below reading lamp. When you sit down the light comes on.

• Like 1

ah, do you mean a motion sensor light above their head?

I have tried PIR type motion sensors, but if the individual is sitting very still, such as watching TV, or have dozed off, the sensor tends to timeout

I think the problem is that the sensor algorithm looks for motion, not "presence". 

I've been searching for a true presence sensor

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FrankE said:

ah, do you mean a motion sensor light above their head?

In which case?
The whoopee cushion would be an indicator light. "This is the person who made *that* sound", kind of thing.

The 2nd idea would be a pressure sensor that turns on a reading light above their head when somebody sits down below the reading light.

You know that's a really good point @MNA1966 - The lack of oxygen in a space could indicate it.  You'd need something that filled back up without pressure on it...and an O2 sensor...and now we're back to square one.

But it's a good idea!  Pressure isn't the only change for sure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

You'd need something that filled back up without pressure on it..

That's a great idea, thanks. Maybe fill it with something flammable or stinky. LOL wait a second.  I live there! Probably not. LOL

Edited by MNA1966
  • Like 1