Automate Life
Ben

Start with Home automation and Security in South Africa

I would like to start my home automation with Samsung Smartthings Hub v3. The problem is that it seems that the devices are not available in South Africa to buy. If i should buy from eg. Amazon, will it work in SA.

Any other products, ideas for South Africa

Thank you

• Like 1

I believe you'll be just fine, but tough to be 100% sure without getting someone in who has it there.  Let me ask my friend Tiann.  I think he has one.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Brian. The only system I saw that is available here is AJAX. Have not seen that in any review.

Hi Ben, Eerstens hoop ek die Bokke wen vandag! Yes Bud you will be fine. Not using the Smartthings Hub though but the SmartThings Link for NVIDIA® SHIELD™ TV so the Hub will be OK. I've got plenty stuff running on the platform as well as on various Alexa devices which all works fine. Also Philips Hue and Wyze  with all the trimmings.. Everything works great albeit with a little workaround here and there but for the most part of it everything works fine. If you'd like to be more specific in what you want to achieve I'll be willing to assist as far as my limited knowledge allows.

Hi TiJay, dink dit gaan n goeie rugby game wees. Thank you for the confirmation.

To be more specific, we want to offer clients in SA with a solution to security by using IOT and home automation. Currently, there is not much that i am aware off to offer

Hi Ben, Besides the Wyze Cams, Contact and Motion Sensors the rest of my Security system is still old school CCTV but I did hook it up in tinyCam PRO and can view it on my Fire TV and other devices. Not a big Security and IOT boffin but would have liked it if a full blown integrated service like ADT was available locally, so yes you're definitely onto something here and I wish you all the best of luck. Wanted to add in the previous post that most of my stuff was bought of Amazon and with Black Friday coming up on the 29th you might want to hang tight for a bit! Might not always be able to, but will always be willing to help if needed. Lekker naweek!

• Thanks 1

What i discovered is that the devices might not be supported outside of the US. 

For Samsung Smartthings hub 3rd it says on Amazon 'does not work outside the US'

If someone can please assist me with products that can work internationally, would be appreciated.

Also, will the Eufycam E camara's work with Samsung hub or does it need to have the Eufycam hub? Any other suggestions for a good outdoor camara that will work with Smartthings? 

Hey @Ben - Being here in Canada, we're not quite as far away as you (from Samsung's servers), but I can tell you that all their products seem to work just fine.  I have bulbs, plugs, sensors, and much more from them that all seems to be working perfectly.  I think the big question is what's your Z-Wave frequency in your country and can you buy any of those products with the Hub being from North America.  ZigBee should be just fine.

As for supported...just don't tell them where you're from and go to the Samsung US site and chat with them.  You'll get 99% of what you need.