Jump to content
Automate Life
Brian W

For us newbies who get the idea of but don’t know Webcore

Recommended Posts

I wanted to suggest perhaps it is time to do a tutorial or video on Webcore specifically. @Larry Underwood posts a ton of very cool piston concepts for people to look at, but how many of us really know how to get started with Webcore. Me personally I get the concept behind it, but admittedly I am not a code guy or programmer, but I am interested in learning more. I think a “Webcore for beginners” video would be a tremendous help to not only myself but to others. 

With all that Larry shares I feel like there are too few of us taking advantage of the value he is providing to this community. Imagine how much more we as a group could learn and how much we could in turn contribute back by using the tools available, but using them from our individual perspectives.

Just a thought, but I know I would love to have a better understanding of Webcore from a ground up perspective. Thanks for reading this and as always thanks to all who provide content on these forums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'll contribute to this discussion.  Thanks for bringing it up @Brian W!

For me, I agree that Webcore needs a demo/beginners video.  Definitely something to bring people into Webcore and I agree that @Larry Underwood is bringing a ton of great info to the forums.

Why don't we start with what people have found for links?  I think there are some good ones out there right now.  What have we found folks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AYL_Brian said:

Why don't we start with what people have found for links?  I think there are some good ones out there right now.  What have we found folks?

Here is one a introduction to webcore

 

 

Edited by Larry Underwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another one that explains how to install webcore

This is a good install guide but i found a smartapp that is easy to install and makes it very easy to install webcore and several other hard to install smartapps. Might want to try it if your having problems with this install guide

 

Edited by Larry Underwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Larry Underwood said:

Are these videos helping anyone? Anyone have any questions?

I am actually just getting back on the forum today, but I will be checking these out and probably throwing questions your way. I’m excited to start toying around on this side of automations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a how to install the echo speaks smart app. Your going to want the ST - Community Installer installed first

Here is the how to video

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Larry Underwood ok just got it installed and have done 2 simple test scripts just to get a feel for things. I can tell already that I am going to love Webcore. Now I just need more toys for my home to trigger more things. I think my first real script will be to designate my kids phones as arrival sensors and have their arrival home from school issue a command to send a text message to my wife and I. It’s a good way to sell automation value to my wife. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone notice this about webcore?  Just because you're all here on the forums, I figure you should get advanced notice on things like this. 🙂

 

1321943594_2019-10-0416_36_56.thumb.png.73c5d55f7bc39a9469e8dfba9b3e83b4.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Brian W said:

@Larry Underwood ok just got it installed and have done 2 simple test scripts just to get a feel for things. I can tell already that I am going to love Webcore. Now I just need more toys for my home to trigger more things. I think my first real script will be to designate my kids phones as arrival sensors and have their arrival home from school issue a command to send a text message to my wife and I. It’s a good way to sell automation value to my wife. 

Just a FYI on using phones as arrival sensors. In my part of the world it was only about 85% correct.The other times it was either very late or at times i would get false positives. In other words it would trigger the piston when i wasn't home or it would say i had l gone when i was still there. Ended up using a app on my phone called tasker to run the pistons when my phone connected or disconnected from my wifi. That works about 99.5 % of the time.

Edited by Larry Underwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

Did anyone notice this about webcore?  Just because you're all here on the forums, I figure you should get advanced notice on things like this. 🙂

 

1321943594_2019-10-0416_36_56.thumb.png.73c5d55f7bc39a9469e8dfba9b3e83b4.png

So 22 days from now? October 29?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Larry Underwood I am actually using an app on their phones called life 360. That app is essentially a find my iPhone style app, but Webcore can associate the geofence I have setup to define my home. In my early tests it seems to be working, but tomorrow will be the actual test instead of my half measure testing so far. I’ll let you know how it works out. 

C4207737-A5CF-4770-A78F-24F27B5FCE8A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 9:56 PM, Brian W said:

@Larry Underwood I am actually using an app on their phones called life 360. That app is essentially a find my iPhone style app, but Webcore can associate the geofence I have setup to define my home. In my early tests it seems to be working, but tomorrow will be the actual test instead of my half measure testing so far. I’ll let you know how it works out. 

C4207737-A5CF-4770-A78F-24F27B5FCE8A.png

Love Life360 thus far.  I really hope that service stays free for the most part.  I don't know how they're making money though...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...