Automate Life
Gaztyke

New Alexa Feature (US only) - Show & Tell

Amazon is introducing new feature to its Alexa Show device designed to help blind and other low-vision customers identify common household pantry items by holding them up in front of Alexa’s camera and asking what it is. The feature uses a combination of computer vision and machine learning techniques in order to recognize the objects the Echo Show sees.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/23/amazons-echo-show-can-now-identify-household-pantry-items-held-in-front-of-its-camera/

This is inevitably going to become another method for asking Amazon to order/re-order products through tthem, but nonetheless it's an impressive use of the technology that can genuinely help people 

I gave it a quick test and it seems to be, as you said, something for placing orders... It did a really poor job

What I have been recommending for low vison and blind clients is a free IOS app from Microsoft called Seeing AI

https://technology4seniors.com/vision

• Like 1

Hmmmm, what did you try on it Frank?  I wonder if it needs to be a product they recognize from Amazon's stores?

Kirkland water bottle... Anyone who knows someone with limited vision should check out the free iPhone Seeing AI app by Microsoft. Its really good

Edited by FrankE
  • Haha 1