Automate Life
Larry Underwood

Sonos and Smartthings

Sonos seems to be being quite smart in partnering with other tech companies to enhance the functionality of its devices, adding smarts from Alexa, Google Assistant & no making it officially compatible with SmartThings, it seems like they're saving themselves the cost of the R&D of creating the functionality/smarts by itself by partnering with established mature platforms 👍

I just spoke with SmartThings and Sonos support...not 2 weeks ago.  Both told me, nope.  Not happening.  Never.  Nope.

SONOFFA (see what I did there?)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

I just spoke with SmartThings and Sonos support...not 2 weeks ago.  Both told me, nope.  Not happening.  Never.  Nope.

SONOFFA (see what I did there?)

Clearly they didn't realise who you are Brian, I trust you told them 'I'm kind of a big deal' 😄

Do some of the current Sonos speakers currently support use of SmartThings text to speech? I thought Sonos Play 1 does, but I don't have one

• Like 1

Thanks.. that is good news

Please describe in detail how you are using it. Is this through "Notify members" in the SmartThings app?

I've seen a lot of concern over at the SmartThings forum as to whether webCoRE can still do TTS in a piston using the new Sonos/ST update

https://community.smartthings.com/t/update-required-new-sonos-integration/173197/15

I'd like to be able to use webCoRE as well as the SmartThings app notifications

• Like 1

Hey @FrankE!  Here's the detail you're after.

As of now, I'm not using it with Webcore as some of the pistons I'm using are executed once per week and there's really just not an audio need.  However, I'm now using it in a few specific ways in my new home:

1.  It's a notify component to any security event.  I have made specific messages within automations that let someone know who is entering with the alarm/monitoring in place that the home is in fact being monitored.  This should scare enough people to have most walk away at that point.  I wanted specific ones beyond (number 3) below so that it's a little bit...more concerning for someone.

2. It's a notification component to things like my fridge/freezer being left open, and temperature monitoring issues like any of the doors dropping down to too cool of a temperature (you know I live in Canada...so that actually happens).

3. It's included as an audio notification (I just used the bell) as part of the security monitoring solution.  So it'll ding to security events.  I'm not sure if I'll keep this, but it reminds me when I come in to disarm the system (if it hasn't already happened on its own).

4. It's included as an audio notification for leak/smoke/CO events.

• Like 1

Right now I'm just using my phone with a Bixby Routine to speak the notification from SmartThings.

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Samsung Galaxy Home Mini...

I really  don't want  to buy a Sonos to speak these notifications

• Like 1

I just use echo speaks and webcore to say and do all my notifications (security, washer, dryer, camera see's a person (WYZE and Nest), temp alarms on doors and windows, etc.). Unless I'm asleep and then all notifications (except security) get muted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankE said:

Right now I'm just using my phone with a Bixby Routine to speak the notification from SmartThings.

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Samsung Galaxy Home Mini...

I really  don't want  to buy a Sonos to speak these notifications

I utilise my Samsung multi-room speakers to give audible spoken notifications for security alerts & for smoke alarm notifications through the house. They're not smart speakers but they integrate with SmartThings directly

It appears that SmartThings only allows pairing of the Samsung speakers under the Classic mobile app

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FrankE said:

It appears that SmartThings only allows pairing of the Samsung speakers under the Classic mobile app

Ahhh I see, I've had them integrated for the better part of 3 years so it was the classic app I used to integrate them at the time, never thought to check if they can be newly integrated vis new app 😬 they do still appear in the new app though

Screenshot_20191119-204410_SmartThings.jpg

Edited by Gaztyke
  • Like 1