Automate Life
Brian W

Simple sensor battery warning

I know people have scripts and other utilities measuring and tracking battery life on sensors, but I am using a simple low tech solution.  First let me mention that my tools for this are SmartThings, IFTTT, and my cell phone.

I created a virtual switch in ST that I called front door motion sensor battery warning switch.  This switch is triggered to flip on when the sensors battery hits 10% using the automation configuration available in ST.

Then in IFTTT I created an applet that when this virtual switch is on the applet sends an sms message to my phone stating the sensor name and 10% battery warning.

By no means do I think I came up with something amazing or original here, but it was a simple solution that I had not seen before and I thought could benefit others.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey I love the simplicity of this Brian!  No need to complicate things, and I think it's always best to use native capabilities the way they were intended.

The Hubitat Elevation Hub has a "Notifications" app that will do this.
Just go into apps and add the Built-in App "Notifications" and you can make a battery level (each or all) notification sent SMS or have it spoken (TTS) on a device.

• Thanks 1