Automate Life
Nige

SmartThings v2 starter pack OR v3 Hub?

Hi experts!!

Should I purchase an older SmartThings v2 hub starter pack or SmartThings v3 hub

They are both the same price but obviously the v2 is older but includes some sensors. I don't need the wireless part of the v3 hub as I will plug it in to the network.

Are there any other advantages internally to the v3 hub? I understand it has less memory and a slower processor, even though it is newer. Radios the same?

Many thanks,

Nigel

2 hours ago, Nige said:

Hi experts!!

Should I purchase an older SmartThings v2 hub starter pack or SmartThings v3 hub

They are both the same price but obviously the v2 is older but includes some sensors. I don't need the wireless part of the v3 hub as I will plug it in to the network.

Are there any other advantages internally to the v3 hub? I understand it has less memory and a slower processor, even though it is newer. Radios the same?

Many thanks,

Nigel

Here is a good website that explains the differences between the V2 and V3 hub. I have a V3 hub myself never had the V2 but from what i have heard the V3 even though it has less memory and a slower processor they figured out a way to make it run faster then the V2 hub. Plus the V3 sensors are better then the V2 sensor.

https://justclickappliances.com/smartthings-v2-vs-v3-differences-explained/

• Thanks 2

Thank you Larry! 

That was exactly what I needed to read. I had search for such an article but the ones I read were not as clear as that one.

Have a great weekend!

Nige

Go with the 3. 🙂

Thread Hub on board and support for that could be important in the next year or two.  V2 is also probably relatively close to the end of its supported time.

• Like 1