Automate Life
FrankE

Problems with Automations in SmartThings Mobile app

I have used the Automations feature in SmartThings mobile app for many purposes but have recently run into an issue where I'm trying to use a SmartThings button as a trigger for a SmartThings outlet.

What I find is that about 1/2 the time the button isn't detected and the other 1/2 the outlet isn't switched!!

In my prior automations I was always using virtual switch inputs set by Alexa.

What I'm thinking is that the ST switch input is too short (even when I use the HELD mode) to be used as a trigger. I suspect the automation is expecting a "level" verses a trigger

BTW, the same switch and outlet work flawlessly in WebCore...

So I've found this a bit with the button.  Sometimes it's taking 2 presses with the SmartThings button.  I had an inkling that this might be related to the new way they're handling button automations in the app, but the other option was that the button just simply doesn't provide the signal change the hub is looking for (or something related to ZigBee protocol).  I think you've proven with the WebCore tests that it's not that.

So to me, that's the button automation in ST.

Yea it's the app for sure had the same experience with the app. Never did like canned apps to limiting and the coding can be hard to get right.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1