Automate Life
FrankE

Want a reminder on your Fire TV?

I have always turned off all the Notifications on my Fire TV, but just had a request for a way to show a bedtime reminder on a client's Fire TV while they are watching TV. Its actually pretty easy.

On Fire TV:

Enable Notifications under Settings

Be sure to disable notifications for ALL apps except Alexa

Install "Notifications from Fire TV" app on the FIRE TV

* The best way I found to do this is to search for that app on the Amazon home page and then "deliver it" to the Fire TV.. see pics below

In the Alexa Mobile app:

In Reminders & Alarms

Pick reminders

Add a reminder and pick the Fire TV as the "Announces from" device

https://youtu.be/WfUz9XClZWc 

****** UPDATE  *******

I found in testing that the Fire TV cube IGNORES the "App Notification = OFF" setting and the "Do Not Interrupt= ON" setting and lets the Alexa notification through and make the Fire Cube speak the notification even if the TV is off! I think this is a bug that may get repaired

In my Use Case for those wanting to live independently, I will also add a scheduled "turn on the TV command" through an Alexa Routine so that the TV will be turned on for important notifications such as "Time for your walk"

****** UPDATE   2 *******

BTW, if you are looking for Notifications to be sent to your Fire TV that are NOT generated by Alexa, take a look at "Notifications for Fire TV" on the Google Play Store and Amazon.com for downloading to your Fire TV.

Of course, this requires an Android phone, but you can then send any notification your phone gets to the TV.

I think what is missing is that ALL notifications you allow on your phone will be sent... there needs to be a separate list

Fire TV notifications.PNG

Notifications for Fire TV 1.JPG

Notifications for Fire TV 2.JPG

Edited by FrankE
added installation instructions for Fire Tv app
  • Like 2

Awesome. Where do you find these features ? It's not like Amazon announces these things very well.

• Like 1

Hi David,

I have been working quite a bit with trying to get Reminder notifications on my Galaxy watch, so I had some experience in this area.

When the request came in for neminders on a Fire TV I starting looking at some Play Store apps for this, when I remembered that Fire TV already has Notifications settings

Frank

• Like 1

This is a great one Frank!  I was just playing with the device the other day trying to find a way to auto-shut it off after so many minutes of playing, but this works too.

• Like 1

I can't get this to work at all with my Fire TV with alexa.  I can't run a routine from my fire tv.  I can't set reminder notifications to show from my fire tv.  It's not listed as an option when I choose the device to show from.  So frustrated.  please help!

Hey @jennifer1818 - Did you enable notifications on the Fire TV in its settings?  Also, can you see the Fire TV at all in the account when you go to Devices and then look through all of your devices?  It could be attached to a different Amazon account.

• Like 1

Hi Jennifer,

It's my fault!! In reviewing the instructions I originally posted, I neglected to say to install the free "Notifications for Fire TV" app on the Fire TV... Yikes!

I just updated the above instructions in the post

I'm very sorry for the frustration

Frank

• Like 1