Automate Life
MNA1966

Gesture Controllers?

Has anybody ever used or plan to use a gesture controller in there Smart-Home?
Like the one Fibaro sells.

Once I saw it I thought of the movie "Minority Report"
I slept on it and thought, where am I going to put it? What will I control with it? BTW, this particular one can be mounted under a desk or similar.
Someone else on FB has one and describes it as a button controller.

One big difference between him and I is I think he is or has developers available to him.
He said it was a 16 button controller but may have forked the driver. IDK.

• Thanks 1

How much of that will wind up in the Hub, Max?
Was the one advertised gesture just letting the cat out of the bag.

Hey guys, yeah I've got the Fubaro Swipe gesture controller (as well as the Fibaro 16 button controller that the guy in FB mentioned) though I have to say I've still not set it up yet, the plan is to place it on my bedside table as method for controlling the bedroom lighting & maybe the Nest thermostat. I'm looking to integrate it via a custom device handler in SmartThings that can be found here:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-fibaro-swipe/88073

I actually did try to integrate the Fibaro multi button controller through SmartThings but couldn't get the device handler to work for me unfortunately

10 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

Hey @Gaztyke!  You're up!

How do you see it to control a computer?

That guy on FB did that with a couple of apps. He could not only turn on/shut down the PC but open and close apps.

I'm not sure how you'd go about that, it may be that they have the Fibaro smart center itself that they've been able to set up the automaton through, that it possibly linking it through SmartThings then using that to trigger an IFTTT automation possibly 🤔 

My other thought (sorry, if i'm being a PITA) is simpler.

a TV controller.

I have a Harmony Hub and triggering an activity with a gesture instead of a remote would have a cool factor. LOL
Control volume on my AVR, too. Oh boy.

There is a Version 1 and 2 of Fibaros gesture controller. Maybe V1 is 8, V2 is  16?

That would certainly be very cool, you can trigger Harmony activities via SmartThings if you've got a SmartThings hub? 

I have (kept) a ST Hub but I am currently using a Hubitat Elevation Hub. Hubitat has Harmony integration.

A lot of the devices are listed as compatible but the Swipe is not one of them..

ST and Hubitat's Hub linker/link to hub (ST integration).
When linked to the ST hub everything in the ST hub becomes available in Hubitat's Hub.
It is meant for people to slowly  switch from ST to Hubitat.

Edited by MNA1966

5 hours ago, MNA1966 said:

A lot of the devices are listed as compatible but the Swipe is not one of them..

ST and Hubitat's Hub linker/link to hub (ST integration).
When linked to the ST hub everything in the ST hub becomes available in Hubitat's Hub.
It is meant for people to slowly  switch from ST to Hubitat.

In that case you could maybe integrate the Swipe to your SmartThings hub then copy that over on to the Hubitat Elevation & utilise it that way 👍

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, MNA1966 said:

My other thought (sorry, if i'm being a PITA) is simpler.

a TV controller.

I have a Harmony Hub and triggering an activity with a gesture instead of a remote would have a cool factor. LOL
Control volume on my AVR, too. Oh boy.

There is a Version 1 and 2 of Fibaros gesture controller. Maybe V1 is 8, V2 is  16?

You can turn on and off activities but changing volume and channels, ect. is not available. Just turning on and off activities.

Edited by Larry Underwood