Automate Life
FrankE

Alexa spoken watch reminders

For those individuals living independently, with remote technical support provide by friends and family, a common request is for better reminders for appointments and other events.  The normal “one & done” type of reminder provided on a phone is usually not sufficient. Some calendar event apps supply an additional “alert” feature, but the individual is still required to look at reminder text.

With the growing popularity of voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa, a new class of reminders became available with verbal reminders with music and video animations as well as physical light and sound flashers, e.g.

image.png.123962df38c22cff1a459f4f8b0fded7.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WgWYcgk-Po

Since many individuals living independently wear a watch, the use of a Samsung Galaxy Watch to provide additional spoken reminders is a reality. In this solution, use of standard Alexa Reminders can be set by the individual or their friend/family member remotely using the individual’s Alexa account on their own phone, tablet or PC

image.png.3220f78b9c9c0421c5ddccf34ca2c813.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8GJ6VTtoVc

image.png.6395d57aa7f9bb5b3f3c32d622a6ae9d.png

This solution utilizes a Samsung Galaxy Store app “Talk to Alexa” to provide a means to speak the reminders on the individual’s wrist. While there are other apps that could be used to provide Text to Speech on that app’s own reminder list, the above approach requires no additional training as it utilizes the standard Alexa reminders

image.png.3df72b019357e93b1fd80abbad95e4e6.png

FrankE

• Like 1

The watch reminder is a fantastic idea Frank, I've subscribed to your YouTube channel & look forward to seeing what other solutions you can think up 👍 Is there anything I can do to make this a reality on a Wear OS watch too? 

I am in touch with the developer and right now its Samsung Galaxy only... but I have passed on your request 

UPDATE- the developer says he does not expect a lot of interest in Alexa on a Gear device which has Google Assistant. My question back to him was whether GA can do spoke notifications on the watch... That is the big feature of Talk to Alexa for my clients

Frank

Edited by FrankE
reply from developer
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Frank, I've actually been getting awfully tempted to get a hold of a Galaxy watch since I got my S10+ as my phone upgrade, I'm getting the Galaxy Buds as a freebie too so I'm going to see what they can do from an automation perspective 

• Like 1

I'm interested to know what in home automation you would like to see from your Galaxy watch.  My focus is for those wishing to live independently with remote tech support from family & friends. I'd be interested to hear your input on Galaxy verses Active 2

In addition to "Talk to Alexa" performing any action that Alexa can do, there are also some "Touch to activate"  apps such as:

TaskS2

Triggers

IFTTT Hooks

To implement some home automation. 

Frank

4 hours ago, Gaztyke said:

Thanks Frank, I've actually been getting awfully tempted to get a hold of a Galaxy watch since I got my S10+ as my phone upgrade, I'm getting the Galaxy Buds as a freebie too so I'm going to see what they can do from an automation perspective 

I saw the Buds getting firmware updates too...amazing.  I think they're going to get some automation integration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

I saw the Buds getting firmware updates too...amazing.  I think they're going to get some automation integration.

I've just been reading the manual for them online, they seem to be locked to launching whatever you have set up as your home button assistant, the same as a lot of headphones, it'd be nice if you could choose to launch a specific assistant (as long as it's installed on your phone) without it needing to be the same one that you've got set as your main phone assistant 😬