Automate Life
AYL_Brian

How about VPNs?

Is anyone using a VPN service alongside their home automation?  I've been using one for a while but I'm wondering what your opinion is, if you know about VPNs in general, and do you care?

I use a hardware Firewall/VPN box called SonicWall TZ400 I was using IP Vanish Service before i got the SonicWall but once you buy it you don't have to pay a monthly fee. It's not completely hack proof (nothing is) but it's as close as I can make it.

Edited by Larry Underwood

I used TunnelBear for a little while. Mostly, I used it to tunnel into Canada and get free HBO. I had to catch up on GOT a few years back. Don't judge. LOL
Besides, we didn't have the IoT craze of today.

Right now, I surf the web without a VPN. Closest security device I use is a Bitdefender Box II. You know, one of those IoT firewalls that wouldn't stand a chance against a "man-in-the-middle attack. DDOS attacks were pretty popular back then so I bought one. Meh, all my ports are closed when I use it.

14 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

Is anyone using a VPN service alongside their home automation?  I've been using one for a while but I'm wondering what your opinion is, if you know about VPNs in general, and do you care?

I was told a VPN slows your internet speed down, so I've never used one... wouldn't even know how.. lol.

Ok, so a pretty varied response here!  I've used NordVPN quite a bit, but had wondered if you guys find it critical?

2 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

Ok, so a pretty varied response here!  I've used NordVPN quite a bit, but had wondered if you guys find it critical?

Simple answer is YES for me.

• Like 1

I never thought of a VPN as a security device. I was thinking more about firewalls as such.
Can you tell me more about them and their benefits as a security device compared to firewalls.

Having both must be best I assume. They both serve two very different technologies.

I know the basic features of what a VPN does (tunnels and encrypts your data) but that's it.

I have an empty Qnap NAS.. Is that a good home for Open VPN?
opinions about Open VPN, too.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:13 PM, MNA1966 said:

I never thought of a VPN as a security device. I was thinking more about firewalls as such.
Can you tell me more about them and their benefits as a security device compared to firewalls.

Having both must be best I assume. They both serve two very different technologies.

I know the basic features of what a VPN does (tunnels and encrypts your data) but that's it.

I have an empty Qnap NAS.. Is that a good home for Open VPN?
opinions about Open VPN, too.

Okay, I'm curious. 

I have heard the service NordVPN mentioned and now I don't think OpenVPN is what I think it is..
I was looking for a VPN that can be DL to a NAS that will run 24/7.  I assume when you turn off your computer (with a VPN service) you also turn off the VPN service. Leaving your IOT stuff vulnerable
Is a NAS a better home for a VPN service? I have seen "how to" instructions on YouTube for both OpenVPN and Nord to install on a NAS.

OpenVPN may be on my NAS. I don't remember and it's not plugged in.

Does anybody have more info on both. My biggest concern is what the connection will do to my internet speed. 

So...I've used OpenVPN on my Router.  That's a protocol more or less and you get settings from NordVPN when you have a subscription from them.  You simply install what NordVPN (or another service) gives you into your router settings.

Obviously, since it's a VPN running at the router level, you don't have to worry about what you've just said.  This was one of the key features of my router too!

18 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

So...I've used OpenVPN on my Router.  That's a protocol more or less and you get settings from NordVPN when you have a subscription from them.  You simply install what NordVPN (or another service) gives you into your router settings.

Obviously, since it's a VPN running at the router level, you don't have to worry about what you've just said.  This was one of the key features of my router too!

I have an Eero router and it comes with a free VPN called  "Encrypt me". I must have made an account for it long ago. I don't remember doing it. 🙄 Ugh!

I'd like to change my answer to: VPN yeah, sure. I use Encrypt me baked into my Eero router. LOL

• Haha 1

I'd say VPN's are typically not needed unless you're someone who navigates many networks via coffee shops and so on. Technically someone could sniff out packets locally at your house, but most connections to the internet are (should be) encrypted anyways. Obviously privacy away from your ISP is nice, but its not really needed unless you're doing something your not supposed to. I've been looking into VPN's for awhile and will eventually sign on to one, but I haven't seen it as a necessity.    

• Like 1