Automate Life
FrankE

Ever forget your phone in the car?

OK, this one has been bothering me for a LONG time!

I was forgetting to take my phone when I get out of the car. This usually happens when I've been charging it in the car.

I know the car makers could easily solve this with a warning that a connected phone has just become disconnected, but I finally decided to solve it on the phone side since an I'm now a Samsung Phone user

I use an Android app- "Notify! for Bluetooth" by N.I.R, to detect the BT has dropped and play a song. I then use Tasker to pick up the notification and do the Text to speech

I've not found any apps that work like this on IOS. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0Awv9K9Pw

Frank

• Like 1

That's cool frank. But you could have tasker monitor your BT connection to you car and when it drops to do the same thing.

Edited by Larry Underwood

12 hours ago, FrankE said:

Great. I'm a novice with Tasker. Please show me how to configure that 

Ok in tasker click on the + button

1. Select State

2. Select Net

3. Select BT Connected

4. In the Name field click on the search magnifying glass and select your Car's BT name

5. Make sure you check the box next to Invert so that tasker knows you want it to check if the connection is dropped instead of made.

6. Click on the back arrow button in the upper left hand side of your screen.

At this point the trigger portion of the task is complete and all you need to do next is select what you want it to do when triggered and sounds like you already have that created so you should be good.

If you have any questions let me know.

As far as I know there isn't a tasker equivalent for IOS

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Thanks 1

Hi Larry,

Thanks... works great...

Instead of "State" I was trying "Event" with no success 

Rather than tasker for IOS, I was hoping to find a simple BT connection detector app, but all I found  were complex BT managers that I could evaluate without buying

Thanks again,

Frank

• Like 1

I'm using Life 360 on iOS to let me know when I'm home and to trigger automation using IFTTT 🙂

It's not fancy, but Life 360 has been successful for me now for a couple of months...every time.

34 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

I'm using Life 360 on iOS to let me know when I'm home and to trigger automation using IFTTT 🙂

It's not fancy, but Life 360 has been successful for me now for a couple of months...every time.

In my part of the world nothing works for me. I've tried life 360 (the best of the lot) and many others. Life 360 is about 80% reliable. But have had false positives, no trigger at all when i get home, late triggers (like 10 min. after i get home), ect..

So Siri does this kinda stuff in iOS 13.  Make and break BT connections or Airplay connections can trigger automation in Shortcuts 🙂

So Siri does this kinda stuff in iOS 13.  Make and break BT connections or Airplay connections can trigger automation in Shortcuts 🙂

@AYL_Brian

Please show me how to do this. I don't see BT disconnect as a trigger for IOS Shortcuts

2 hours ago, FrankE said:

@AYL_Brian

Please show me how to do this. I don't see BT disconnect as a trigger for IOS Shortcuts

Nor do I...I think it's gone now!

Maybe you could use WiFi Connected, or CarPlay disconnection?  

Hi Brian,

I must be missing something... I only see a way to either touch an IOS shortcut icon or have Siri invoke it.

How do I get an IOS shortcut to respond to an event?

• Like 1

Ohhhh!  Well there's an "Automation" side of the Shortcuts App.  Then you choose a personal automation and you'll see the ability to use a few triggers to drive personal automation.

• Thanks 1

Great,.. I hadn't seen that... Looks like there is no BT disconnect (only a connect detection), but a CarPlay disconnect might work for my purpose

Now, is there a way to get IOS to do a TTS message as an action?

Looks like the only one I can get to "auto-run" for my purpose is the carplay disconnect

https://support.apple.com/guide/shortcuts/enable-or-disable-a-personal-automation-apd602971e63/3.2/ios/13.2

I still haven't found a TTS action to say :"Don't forget your phone"

Edited by FrankE
added link
  • Like 1