Automate Life
Town Tech

Business Sensors and Smart Devices

My brother and I, do IT work for a big industrial plant.

I need things, like temperature and vibration sensors. They have silos and all kinds of machines that need monitoring.

Since it's a big place, I may need these sensors to use wifi instead of bluetooth.

Also, another possible thing that would be nice is the ability to work without internet, in case wifi goes down or there is a security issue.

Then I also wanted to be able to use something like actiontiles so the workers could view all of the info and readings on one screen.

What kinds of devices and gadgets do you guys recommend or know of?

Those kind of sensors use small batteries as the sensors themselves are small. Wifi takes a lot of power in comparison so most temperature, motion, vibration sensors are either zigbee or z-wave (mostly zigbee as its very easy on battiries). So wifi sensors are going to be few and far between, as a matter of fact i don't know of any off of the top of my head, how about you @AYL_Brian ?

Edited by Larry Underwood

In an industrial setting, you're likely to have the word reliability as your biggest concern.  I have spent years working with control systems in industrial settings, and I have yet to find any company that was accepting of control system connectivity issues as a good reason for downtime.  Would you say that describes your situation accurately, or is your client/company willing to accept say 99.5% facility up-time?  Or, further yet, is your monitoring not a required component of the facility running?

If reliability is that important to you, you're going to spend a lot more money for the 3 or 4 9's of reliability that you're going to want here.  There's just simply no cloud, WiFi, Bluetooth, ZigBee, or Z-Wave solution that I could recommend to you to go forward with.

We can chat here to get you down a good path, but I'm also able to consult on a more professional basis for you.  If you had some budget for that, we could chat deeper.  Again, happy to provide as much as I can here to get you pointed down the right direction!

Reliability isn't a concern. If it works, great, if it goes down, they will just have to walk to the machine and see what the numbers are.

Would you say you have Bluetooth and/or WiFi blanketing the facility already?

I think that makes your facility around 50 x 50 meters?  You could do a Z-Wave network.  That's where I'm starting to think you should go.  You could use SmartThings or Hubitat.