Automate Life
Erin

Smart devices and privacy concerns

Brian's video today has me thinking about privacy and generational attitudes. 

I'm not to bothered by a little loss of privacy for convenience and security. I'm Canadian and in my mid forties. My children 21 and 23 think any loss of privacy is awful and see it as a much larger sign of the downfall of society. 

I see the police having the ability to know what cameras are available and the ability to ask for footage as an amazing way to keep us all safer by capturing criminals. My children are horrified at the thought.

My parents both submitted their dna to ancestry.com to help with filling out their family trees, my children see that as a loss and of their privacy that their grandparents have forced on them. My children have no criminal tendencies so I can't see the downside myself. 

What are your opinions, and do they strongly differ from your children or parents? Is it somewhat generational or how did I raise such paranoid children. 

Edited by Erin
  • Like 1

It's a big topic which we can't use automation to tackle. Now if you could write a script or have Google reply......

Its amazing the difference in generations and opinion on this, my Parents late 70s don't have anything to do with technology no internet, they have a mobile phone that you can only talk on!! no laptops, no iPads they really are anti or afraid of it, no matter how much I've tried its a big no, my dad is interested in what i do in my home but really does not trust it and is horrified about the stories of people being able to listen in. 

We have a couple of friends late 60s totally opposite love it and are not bothered by privacy issues and embrace it. 

Myself big 50 It doesn't concern me to much about Amazon, google having my information as to be honest anyone listening to myself and my wife would really wonder how old we are (slightly childish) for the pros of having the this technology out-way the cons. 

My daughter late 20s while has grown up technology and loves it, is a lot more cautious about than me and really would like the law to stamp down on some of the privacy issues. 

• Like 1

I scheme what the hell man, what's the government gonna do with my info anyway...

I'm not involved in any criminal activities so not bothered in the least.

Don't even care if people listen to my google assistant conversations, worst they gonna hear is my wife and I moaning and groaning dong the nasty, and my son asking Gugu what sound a dinosaur makes 6 billion times a day....

Not very helpful recordings to plan my assassination. 

• Like 1

I'm concerned (paranoid) that this or what happens from here is just the beginning.
People will sell a little bit of privacy for the price of a Smart Doorbell. We know that a foot is given and a mile is taken in most cases

IDK, maybe this is "them" pushing the envelope just to see if they can get away it. If they do what's next?

EDIT: What if there was two GH's, Echo's, Home kit's, etc... You are able to choose and purchase the current version GH cheaply or a secure option for $100-$200 maybe $300 more. There is always a third option of not buying either..
Just wondering if anybody want to take a stab at this and tell us which option you'll pick.

A less expensive AI device that collects your data and recordings and whichever camera goes into a neighborhood-watch like program run by the police.
A secure AI device that will cost you more. it's not cheap and never goes on sale.
or option three. Don't buy one. You're not comfortable with option A. Option B is out of your budget so you decide on option C rather than saving up for a secure one. We all know these thing are money pits.

Also, complacency should not be considered. The only answer is it right for everybody or is it wrong for everybody.

Edited by MNA1966

On 8/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, PhilipDeanParkes said:

Not very helpful recordings to plan my assassination. 

Thats what they want you to think. 🤖