Automate Life
Christina

new home - security system plus automation?

Hello!

I'll be moving to a newly-constructed home in about 3 months and I'm trying to figure out what to do about security and how that might tie in (or not!) with home automation. Currently I'm just getting started on my home control journey - I have a google mini, a google home hub, a wifi switch controlling a fan and two wifi outlet plugs controlling lamps. I'm thinking that I'll get a Smartthings hub next and add zigbee sensors and controls. I've never had a monitored security system on my home before, but would like to get one this time for added peace of mind (living on my own now). I'm not sure though, since security systems overlap functionality with home automation - entry sensors, motion sensors, etc. There's definitely more things you can do by building your own system, but then it's not monitored. Should I just run two systems in parallel? Just as an example two entry sensors might be on the same door: the home automation one turns on the lights, and the other triggers the alarm if the alarm is armed and the code isn't entered.  Any advice?

34 minutes ago, Christina said:

Hello!

I'll be moving to a newly-constructed home in about 3 months and I'm trying to figure out what to do about security and how that might tie in (or not!) with home automation. Currently I'm just getting started on my home control journey - I have a google mini, a google home hub, a wifi switch controlling a fan and two wifi outlet plugs controlling lamps. I'm thinking that I'll get a Smartthings hub next and add zigbee sensors and controls. I've never had a monitored security system on my home before, but would like to get one this time for added peace of mind (living on my own now). I'm not sure though, since security systems overlap functionality with home automation - entry sensors, motion sensors, etc. There's definitely more things you can do by building your own system, but then it's not monitored. Should I just run two systems in parallel? Just as an example two entry sensors might be on the same door: the home automation one turns on the lights, and the other triggers the alarm if the alarm is armed and the code isn't entered.  Any advice?

Smartthings has it's own security monitoring app called smart home monitor. It allows you to setup any sensors you added to your smartthings hub (motion, door/window) and you can set it to 3 different modes, disarmed, Armed/stay, Armed/Away. You can set each mode as you want it in the smartthings app. You could have it alert you then you can call the police. Heres a link that explains how it works. https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205380154-SmartThings-Home-Monitor

I even have echo dots in the house play guard dog barking sounds when someone rings the doorbell, knocks on the door, or opens the door when its in Armed/Away mode

Hope this helps.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the smartthings home monitor. So far I find it's only downfall is the lack of built in entry and exit delays/timers. It's not a huge issue for me though. Through webcore I've set it up to automatically arm/disarm the system when I leave and come home. I've also set it up with a virtual switch on actiontiles (tablet mounted on my wall) that any guests can use when they stay over, so it doesn't arm the system and delays the arming when they turn it off and leave.
There are so many things you can do to customize it to your liking. It's a fantastic system!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrettC said:

I love the smartthings home monitor. So far I find it's only downfall is the lack of built in entry and exit delays/timers. It's not a huge issue for me though. Through webcore I've set it up to automatically arm/disarm the system when I leave and come home. I've also set it up with a virtual switch on actiontiles (tablet mounted on my wall) that any guests can use when they stay over, so it doesn't arm the system and delays the arming when they turn it off and leave.
There are so many things you can do to customize it to your liking. It's a fantastic system!

Yes I've done something similar.

1934457815_alarmdogbark.thumb.png.303e19d012fe3be39f9aeb60f3284e2b.png

@BrettC Can you share yours? Like to see what you did.

• Like 2

Hey @Christina, I agree with the general consensus here.  SmartThings is a great home security system, and would do just about everything you need.  There are some great sensor types that can be more inconspicuous then your average SmartThings Multipurpose sensor, and you can create all kinds of crazy custom features for yourself.

Personally, I don't believe a home-monitoring solution is required for most people.  I actually have a video on the channel all loaded and ready to publish someday about this, but I'll summarize it here:

Monitoring is for the:

20 days out of 365 where someone comes to your door and you're not home AND

1 attempt out of those 1000 where someone wants to break in AND

1 time you don't have your phone or can't pick up to look at the notification and/or your camera OR

the 0.01% of the time that your internet is down

Then you need monitoring because they'll call for you.  Otherwise, you'll look and call the police.

And your siren will probably scare them off anyways. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Presence.thumb.png.73bcb5f1536c4dfac8b29e3320b75743.pngSHM.thumb.png.ebbf36bb861d42a341cbbec868bb9a4e.png

@Larry Underwood Here's what I've got for my automations. Pretty basic stuff so far. The switch in the global presence automation is controlled by another switch that's in actiontiles. So if that one is turned off it will turn off the other switch after 2 minutes. That gives any guest enough time to get out before the system is armed and the doors are locked behind them. If the system is armed and an intrusion is detected, my siren will go off, lights will go on, and cameras will record any motion to the cloud. I recently got new smart locks for my front and back door, so I will most likely redo the automation so it's a combination of presence and the door being unlocked to disarm the system, making it a bit more secure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BrettC said:

Presence.thumb.png.73bcb5f1536c4dfac8b29e3320b75743.pngSHM.thumb.png.ebbf36bb861d42a341cbbec868bb9a4e.png

@Larry Underwood Here's what I've got for my automations. Pretty basic stuff so far. The switch in the global presence automation is controlled by another switch that's in actiontiles. So if that one is turned off it will turn off the other switch after 2 minutes. That gives any guest enough time to get out before the system is armed and the doors are locked behind them. If the system is armed and an intrusion is detected, my siren will go off, lights will go on, and cameras will record any motion to the cloud. I recently got new smart locks for my front and back door, so I will most likely redo the automation so it's a combination of presence and the door being unlocked to disarm the system, making it a bit more secure.

Thank you for sharing

There was one mention of Actiontiles in the replies. If you do get the Smartthinhs hub, look at purchasing Actiontiles for a one time fee of approximately $28.   Very easy to set up and use. You can see all of your “things” that are smartthings compatible on one screen, and control them too.  Check to see if they still have a free 2 week trial.

1 hour ago, Stukes said:

There was one mention of Actiontiles in the replies. If you do get the Smartthinhs hub, look at purchasing Actiontiles for a one time fee of approximately $28.   Very easy to set up and use. You can see all of your “things” that are smartthings compatible on one screen, and control them too.  Check to see if they still have a free 2 week trial.

Thanks - I definitely will. I've seen Actiontiles in Brian's videos and that looks like a good thing to have!