Automate Life
Erin

Smartthings and WIFI devices

I put WIFI light switches into my house before I understood zigbee and z-wave, as I didn't want to add more hubs. Since then I have added a smartthings hub to my home and wanted to have a motion sensor turn on my laundry room lights (I have a few Phillips hue lights hooked up that way and love them). This light is a built in LED fixture so a light bulb isn't a solution. Right now I have the motion sensor working through IFTTT to talk to KASA(tp-link) but it takes too long to turn on.  Is there another option I'm missing or do I need to change out the switch (or go old school and just hit the switch)? If I'm changing out the switch is there a switch that you would recommend?

• Like 1

I would recommend replacing the switch i use the GE z-wave smart dimmer switch. If the LED's in the fixture are not dim-able they also make a non-dimmer version of this as well. They are natively supported in smartthings so you will not need to install a device handler for it. I use them in many places all over the house and never had a problem with them. Here is the link. Click on this to go there

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Erin, you can fold any IFTTT controllable device into your SmartThings set up by adding the IFTTT trigger as a Virtual Switch, that way you can cut down the number of apps you need to access too 👍

1 hour ago, Gaztyke said:

Hey Erin, you can fold any IFTTT controllable device into your SmartThings set up by adding the IFTTT trigger as a Virtual Switch, that way you can cut down the number of apps you need to access too 👍

Show us!  Show us!

I created a virtual switch when I first set it up but I never got it working...... I'll give it another try!

Hey Erin - One thing that just happened is TP Link and Kasa Smart Home can now be integrated with SmartThings.  There aren't many devices from a WiFi perspective that can do this, but I now have my TP Link switches and bulbs integrated!

• Like 1

Hi Brian I fixed my issue ...... But I was in over my head for a bit! Maybe there's an easier way today but I'm up and running.  I found the answer at the smartthings community.... There was some new code since I last tried and it worked. I had to install device handlers for each KASA device and a Service manager into smartthings IDE and Now my KASA devices appear in my smartthings app so the motion sensor triggers the light almost instantly. 

Here's a link to the code and the instructions! https://github.com/DaveGut/TP-Link-SmartThings

• Like 1

Hey Erin - you can just this for sure, but there's now a native integration even!  I just used the new app to bring them in and they show up now in everything. 🙂  Just search for TP Link

But regardless, happy to hear it's working for you.  Sounds like you stretched a bit today!

• Thanks 1

Do you think there would be a benefit to using the native app? I could switch it but I did learn a lot.

I'm playing with action tiles so it's nice to have more of my devices available to use. 

I'd love to add my nest thermostat but it looked a lot more complicated so if you it anyone else has tips on how to get it working i'd love to hear them. 

I work in a school so I'm counting down (6 working days) to the summer when I will have more time to play around with my smart home!

Erin

• Like 1

I always think it’s beneficial to use native solutions instead of custom solutions. 🙂

Just one of those...things I live by.  Configuration over customization!

• Thanks 1

Oh and I should say...that doesn’t mean I’d run and bother to switch it out.  It’s working. 😉

So on this topic of ST and compatibility I am waiting for my new ST WiFi mesh system to arrive and just realized that Nest and ST do not play in the same sandbox. This isn’t the end of the world, but since I do have 2 Nest thermostats and a Nest cam (and potentially a doorbell in my future), is there any chance these products will find a way to work together?  Obviously I can still manage the Nest products thru my google home system and via their native apps but I am trying to be more diligent as I move forward in my automation. 

And on on a separate note I know with ST you can stop using other individual hubs like Hue for example. But is there a case for or value in keeping those types of products hubs connected as well?  Thanks again in advance for any responses. 

I was able to add my nest to smartthings today, I used the smartapp installer Larry Underwood recommended and once I had it up and running I was able to install nestmgr and now my nest is in smartthings. I followed the instructions on this page:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Community_Installer_(Free_Marketplace)

As for the hubs I know that you have to continue to use the Philips hue hub as it's proprietary. Not sure about the others. 

Edited by Erin
Adding new info and fixing autocorrect errors
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, AYL_Brian said:

Show us!  Show us!

Sorry Brian I'd not realised you had replied, I'm only nearly a month late in replying 😄 

Edited by Gaztyke
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, Larry Underwood said:

I would recommend replacing the switch i use the GE z-wave smart dimmer switch. If the LED's in the fixture are not dim-able they also make a non-dimmer version of this as well. They are natively supported in smartthings so you will not need to install a device handler for it. I use them in many places all over the house and never had a problem with them. Here is the link. Click on this to go there

Hope this helps. 

Do you know the difference between 1st and 2nd Gen GE smart switches? Is there any other day switched that are z wave compatible?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Krusher38 said:

Do you know the difference between 1st and 2nd Gen GE smart switches? Is there any other day switched that are z wave compatible?

From my understanding the only real difference is that the 2nd gen switches supports the newer version of the z-wave protocol and are a little easier to install. There are several smart wall switches out there but haven't found any that are as reliable as these.

• Like 2