Automate Life
AYL_Brian

Wyze's Newest Features

Wyze announced today that they have AI-based person detection capabilities.  It's new, in your app, and available if you upgrade your firmware.

It's already pretty impressive.  I tested it a few ways and seems to work really well.  $25...wow.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

Wyze announced today that they have AI-based person detection capabilities.  It's new, in your app, and available if you upgrade your firmware.

It's already pretty impressive.  I tested it a few ways and seems to work really well.  $25...wow.

That is just WoW... I've got several of these and when i saw your post i installed the firmware update, then the app update and then enabled the service and it works. This along will make people want to buy several more of these each. I know I will, in fact I did that before coming here. 

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now I'm wondering if you just enable person detection if ifttt will trigger on just person detection and not motion? if that works i can see some extremely useful webcore pistons coming soon as ifttt and webcore integrate will with each other. I can't test this as I'm at work and not home at this time. Can someone confirm this one way or the other? I have these outside in protective cases around the outside of the house so this could be very useful.

Posted (edited)

Ok had my wife test it it does trigger on a person but also triggers on just motion as well so hopefully IFTTT will update this to allow trigger on person detection only. 🤔

Posted (edited)

Ok found a way around the problem the wyze app is what sends a notification when it detects a person. I use a program called tasker to watch for a notification from the WYZE app that it saw a person. Then i have tasker send a webhook http post to webcore which runs a piston that in turn uses the echo speaks smartapp to make Alexa say it saw a person on whatever camera it got the notification from.

If anyone wants me to post the webcore piston and more detailed instructions on how i setup tasker to do this then let me know and I'll post it.

• Like 1

There are some gaps that Wyze is working on.  One of them is that motion of all kinds trigger events/recording, but notifications are only people (it can be configured that way).

ifttt will get updated, and you will get better options for events, per Wyze.  But...it’ll be a bit.

5 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

There are some gaps that Wyze is working on.  One of them is that motion of all kinds trigger events/recording, but notifications are only people (it can be configured that way).

ifttt will get updated, and you will get better options for events, per Wyze.  But...it’ll be a bit.

Yep have no doubt that it will happen in time. Maybe even very soon, but like most people I wanted it NOW!! 😀 And this works so i'm a happy camper.

Larry I mean this in a good way...You are a monster!  I’m reading thru this at 9:30pm eastern standard and I am watching you post about this, then ask a question, then say never mind because you had your wife test it and there is a slight issue at the moment, then post again saying never mind because you found a work around. And all of this took place in a 2 hour window. Again in a good way, you are a monster!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FrankE said:

yes, please post....

20 minutes ago, Brian W said:

Larry I mean this in a good way...You are a monster!  I’m reading thru this at 9:30pm eastern standard and I am watching you post about this, then ask a question, then say never mind because you had your wife test it and there is a slight issue at the moment, then post again saying never mind because you found a work around. And all of this took place in a 2 hour window. Again in a good way, you are a monster!

Thanks Brian W, I think 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Just wondering how well person detection is working for others?

I have a v2 and a pan cam and it seems like its very fussy about detecting a person compared to the "motion tagging" seems to track a "body shape" by drawing rectangles around bodies

Looks like some others on the Wyze forum have been experiencing the same "lazy response" that I've seen

Wyze person detction.jpg

Edited by FrankE
added Wyze forum link

I have some test results on this "laziness" when detecting persons... nit really a complaint, but an observation. If you run a test on this you may find the same results.

1. If the camera hasn't seen you in 5-6 minutes, it will detect you as a person right away

2. If the camera reports its detected you as I person, and you stay moving its its detection area, it will NOT report you again for 5-6 minutes

(see screenshot)

I think I saw something about "cool down" on the Wyze Community but that forum is VERY unstructured … unlike this one 🙂 so I can41432832_wyzecam5minutes.PNG.e6f25705f991f3f29ddb3f6eaa1f563e.PNG't  find it again

• Like 1

This could be helpful I wish wyze made a real outdoor PTZ that this could be used on. I currently pipe all 11 out door cameras threw Blue iris to consolidate all of them and it has a ton of features

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

This could be helpful I wish wyze made a real outdoor PTZ that this could be used on. I currently pipe all 11 out door cameras threw Blue iris to consolidate all of them and it has a ton of features

Welcome!  That's impressive that you have so many going.  I'd love to see it!

On 7/12/2019 at 8:04 AM, FrankE said:

I have some test results on this "laziness" when detecting persons... nit really a complaint, but an observation. If you run a test on this you may find the same results.

1. If the camera hasn't seen you in 5-6 minutes, it will detect you as a person right away

2. If the camera reports its detected you as I person, and you stay moving its its detection area, it will NOT report you again for 5-6 minutes

(see screenshot)

I think I saw something about "cool down" on the Wyze Community but that forum is VERY unstructured … unlike this one 🙂 so I can41432832_wyzecam5minutes.PNG.e6f25705f991f3f29ddb3f6eaa1f563e.PNG't  find it again

Mine have yet to ever detect me correctly.  😞